• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

All things are not created equal

InProGuy

For months now I've been struggling with jets constantly dropping out on my JV-5. Bought a "6 month overhaul kit" from Digiprint and changed everything. Dampers, pumps, caps, everything. Still, same problem.

Tackled it again yesterday and flushed the heads, pulled ink back into the dampers ran through the cleaning cycle (several times). Still, no change. It was actually worse.

So today I decide to pull out the original caps (fortunately I had saved them) to compare with the new ones and guess what! THE NEW ONES WERE A FULL 1/8 INCH SMALLER THAN THE ORIGINAL!!! AARRRGGHHHH!!!!!

Okay, swapped them back just to see if there would be any improvement and am now back to getting good test prints. Still got a little ways to go but so much better then where it's been. Still have the change the caps because that's the reason I bought the overhaul kit in the first place.

So I'm looking for suggestions from anyone that's bought caps for their JV-5... and thanks for letting me rant.

InProGuy

Attachments

• JV5 Caps.jpg
    JV5 Caps.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 66

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The issue is not really specific to a JV5 and probably not even Mimaki's in general. Over the years I've run into the same sort of thing several times with pumps, capping tops, and dampers. Aftermarket dampers "usually" work fine when bought from a reputable supplier. More often than not I've personally and have read of others having major problems with aftermarket pumps not working as well as they should. Aftermarket pumps seems to be the worst with issues ranging from falling apart, to tubes splitting open inside, to just not working well. They looks the same but they are not. Capping tops I've seen them too small, too short, too stiff, etc. As far as pumps and capping tops go, I will only use OEM ones anymore. They just work the first time and work right. I do not have time to chase down stupid issues with shoddy parts. Been burned multiple times by this. Yeah the aftermarket part costs half, but did it really save you any money?

That being said, some things like wipers, head cables, fittings, etc. I will use generic parts for those so I'm not saying all aftermarket parts are bad. I'm sure there are even some good aftermarket pumps and capping tops as well. I'm just not going to be the one playing hit and miss to find the good ones anymore.