• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Allergies, anyone?

Alisha Akins

From a vinyl jockey with 30 yrs under my belt: I'm in a highway safety shop these days, and we recently decided to try Grimco's Briteline. As soon as I started cutting it the smell of it degassing as it was moving gave me a headache and a sore throat feeling, as well as a general itchiness all over and slight burning on the palms of my hands after handling it. It's been 4 days of using it and I'm still experiencing the skin issues, only while here at work. Whatever it is, I'm picking up on the vinyl side, not the adhesive. I can't say I have ever had this reaction to any of the chemicals/products we regularly come into contact with in this business, despite having an existing latex allergy. Anyone else hear/experience this sort of reaction?

There is very little information for our industry out on the internet for this subject, I figure it might be best to ask you guys directly.

unclebun

We use some Briteline white vinyl and laminate and have not experienced any odors or allergies. What product are you using?

Alisha Akins

We are using the BLV02 Black, spec sheet says it's a 3.0 mil gloss PVC calendered vinyl with 200-5000 permanent acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive laminated to kraft paper.

rjssigns

Haven't had issues with vinyl only banner hem tape. Can't remember the brand but as soon as the adhesive was exposed my eyes started burning, nose and throat got scratchy.

equippaint

It sounds a bit similar to isocyanate sensitivity. Is anyone using any sort of ventilation setup? We just bought a carbon filter and inline blower to try out.

unclebun

I've never tried briteline cut vinyl. But it sounds like you are reacting to a plasticizer in the vinyl. I'd recommend not using Briteline....it's probably not right for highway signs anyway.