• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Almost to bed....

Fitch

Waiting on final approval, This will be cnc, hand carved, rolled, hand painted pictorial, and gilded.

Although not shown, there are chisleing and texture effects that will be the "bonus" for the client.

Comments and critques invited.

SHACARJULfinal.jpg

Cheers - G

Last edited by a moderator:

astro8

First impression looks great but if I must nitpic and it is nitpicking as the design can stand on it's own as it is...

I like the colours. I'd have a bit more space either side of the name to negate some of the negative space caused by the "L" it's throwing the name to the left...you don't really need the panel behind the name (unless you are relief cutting?) so I'd drop the lettering down a little.
I like the broken pinline...adds interest.

Bit flat across the bottom inner border, I'd follow that curve around or maybe drop in small flourish but that would mean making the flourishes on top smaller.
Now that I look at it they are overpowering your pictorial a little as it is. I'd also bring the top ends in and make them follow and hug the oval more so they look more integrated.

Are you bevel cutting the lettering? If so I would try a different type face (but still stick with a Roman) to get some more meat into the thin strokes...something like Goudy, the oldstyle bold comes up nice gilded. (PJ Gallaghers pubs)

Sorry mate, but that's what I see. Hope I'm still on your Christmas card list!

Ps Goodluck with your American adventure if you decide to leave us. I hope it all works out for you. You do some great work.

Fitch

Great comments Astro:

I agree with everything you have said, and most should pan out in the 3D stages.

The one that I particularly agree with is the "L" and the gap on the right side.

Thiis is a three layer with bevels etc and text is incised @ 120 degrees.

Thanks for the critique.... and no probs with the Christmas list...

Cheers - G

SignManiac

Yes the only thing that I can suggest are minor keening improvements. When I read the name, it almost reads as three separate words. Otherwise, beautiful sign!

astro8

I agree with everything you have said, and most should pan out in the 3D stages.

I know what you're saying here, I'm the same. Once I start to make toolpaths/cutting files I see things that I missed and I'll tweak here and make a change there and it can make all the difference.

My own designs aren't set in concrete, far from it. I design fast and rough. I learned a long time ago not to put too much time into the design...enough to wow the customer and seal the deal. All too often the customer may want a change and off you go again. I put the time and finalise everything in the cutting files.