• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alodized vs Mill FInish Alum

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Will vinyl adhere to mill finish aluminum for the long run or do you need alodine treated material?
I recall a thread about a city contract where all of the vinyl was peeling off of their new signs

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mill finish should be alright, as long as you thoroughly clean it first.

We just did a dumpster with new steel on it and the paint shop forgot to clean the sheets and everything was done from welding to priming and painting, but when we put our letters on..... it completely took A L L of the paint right off.

unclebun

We do dock slip identification signs by wrapping vinyl on mill finish street sign blanks. Our experience with removing the vinyl to change the slip renter's names says that vinyl sticks really well to mill finish aluminum. Really well.

neutrinocv

On Mill Finish, a quick orbital sander once-over, clean with alcool or lacquer thinner and laminate your vinyl. Instead of cutting excess vinyl with a knife, I recommend you do it using a file.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
On Mill Finish, a quick orbital sander once-over, clean with alcool or lacquer thinner and laminate your vinyl. Instead of cutting excess vinyl with a knife, I recommend you do it using a file.
If we have to go through any additional steps to make it usable, aside from a quick wipedown, then were better off getting white on white. The added time cancels any savings.

neutrinocv

I'm just letting you know what we usually do here... Just alcool cleaning will do fine. I'd rather spend a minute or two sanding a piece (when doable) and be sure that I won't have a peeling sign in a few months and a screaming/unsatisfied customer at the other end of the phone line.

rjssigns

I get mill finish aluminum blanks from a local fab shop and throw them in the dishwasher. Not kidding. Dishwasher soap cleans and etches for super adhesion.
Blanks aren't filthy or I wouldn't think of doing it. Mostly dust and the odd fingerprint.