• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternative to Oraguard 210

reQ

Been using this overlam for everyday signage for over 5 years now. But prices here in Canada are growing way to fast (i already had 3-5 price increases from beginning of this year) As of today, i am paying $350 for a roll of 54". Just wondering what alternative is there, if any? I am buying 3M products such as 35C/40C/180cv3 but also heard horror stories about their cal overlam.
Any input?

P.S. Buying 3m from WRI Supply in BC, they offer SIGNMAX overlam, but have no idea how good is it.

Thanks in advance!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If you need a good calendared overlam then I would highly recommend trying my products. I know you have to pay for the shipping to Canada but even with shipping I should be able to save you a significant amount. If your interested in seeing pricing just let me know. I have been selling these laminates for a very long time.

CanuckSigns

The signmax gloss laminate is amazing!! it's by far the glossiest 3 mil laminate i've ever seen, it looks like 2 mil wrap lam when it's on. nice thick backer paper as well.

We've switched over to it for our intermediate laminate, no regrets

reQ

If you need a good calendared overlam then I would highly recommend trying my products. I know you have to pay for the shipping to Canada but even with shipping I should be able to save you a significant amount. If your interested in seeing pricing just let me know. I have been selling these laminates for a very long time.
Problem with US products right now, that by the time you get it to your door, you may as well buy it in Canada. Exchange rate/ Shipping/ Taxes & Duties on border kills it all. I was talking to Instant One Media back in spring to see if it would make sense to bring a pallet of their vinyl here once in a while and split it between smaller shops like mine. Our dollar was 1.20 to US dollar at that time. Math did not work out, $130 vinyl bacame $220.00. For that price i would rather add $40 and buy 3M brand (yet a selling point to some customers)

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Problem with US products right now, that by the time you get it to your door, you may as well buy it in Canada. Exchange rate/ Shipping/ Taxes & Duties on border kills it all. I was talking to Instant One Media back in spring to see if it would make sense to bring a pallet of their vinyl here once in a while and split it between smaller shops like mine. Our dollar was 1.20 to US dollar at that time. Math did not work out, $130 vinyl bacame $220.00. For that price i would rather add $40 and buy 3M brand (yet a selling point to some customers)

Yes I understand, I would offer the bubble free for $101.25 and the Lam at $87.75 if that helps. I have a large client in Canada and he brings it in from me by the pallets, maybe I can work something out with him.

reQ

The signmax gloss laminate is amazing!! it's by far the glossiest 3 mil laminate i've ever seen, it looks like 2 mil wrap lam when it's on. nice thick backer paper as well.

We've switched over to it for our intermediate laminate, no regrets
They state that its a 3 year product... i feel wrong laminating 5 year film with 3 year overlam. or maybe i am not seeing a 5 year singmax? what number is it?

CanuckSigns

They state that its a 3 year product... i feel wrong laminating 5 year film with 3 year overlam. or maybe i am not seeing a 5 year singmax? what number is it?

it is rated as a 3 year, but oraguard 210 is only a 4 year film.

I've used it and i'm very happy with it, but i've only been using if for less than a year, but so far no issues.

reQ

it is rated as a 3 year, but oraguard 210 is only a 4 year film.

I've used it and i'm very happy with it, but i've only been using if for less than a year, but so far no issues.

I understand. Price is almost 1/2 of what i pay for oraguard right now. I am always paranoid that if i switch, i will use crap product, specially when its that much cheaper

a77

Hi reQ, I would agree, being in Canada, Oracal pricing is a bit out of wack. Seen increases from Avery and 3M but Oracal has been creeping up too high too fast. Makes me think they are not really trying for the Canadian market. I've been using Avery 2060 instead of 210.

reQ

Well, i think i will do some changes for materials i stock.

1) 35c+signmax overlam bundle for coro/dibond/regular decals
2) 180cv3+8518 bundle for wraps/vehicle decals

I was stocking 40c for inbetween but not sure now about it?

CanuckSigns

Well, i think i will do some changes for materials i stock.

1) 35c+signmax overlam bundle for coro/dibond/regular decals
2) 180cv3+8518 bundle for wraps/vehicle decals

I was stocking 40c for inbetween but not sure now about it?

IJ35 is a 3 year film FYI, you mentioned a 5 year film earlier.

We stock IJ40 here, we use it for medium and long term flat applications. For medium term we laminate it with the signmax lam, for long term, we laminate with a 2 mil cast laminate, I found it saves us from stocking too many vinyls

reQ

IJ35 is a 3 year film FYI, you mentioned a 5 year film earlier.

We stock IJ40 here, we use it for medium and long term flat applications. For medium term we laminate it with the signmax lam, for long term, we laminate with a 2 mil cast laminate, I found it saves us from stocking too many vinyls

35c is a 5 year product. At least its what it states.
Well after debates with myself:

1) 35c + signmax - coro sign / regular decals
2) 40CR + 290G - dibond / vehicle decals/ glass storefront decals etc
3) 180cv3 + 8518 - wraps.

This way i have everything covered i think. At least for now

reQ

There is no more IJ35, its was discontinued. They made "improved" version and its called just 35/35c now. States as a 5 year product.

CanuckSigns

There is no more IJ35, its was discontinued. They made "improved" version and its called just 35/35c now. States as a 5 year product.

Ahh, I did not know that

Attachments

• the dude.jpg
    the dude.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 96

MikePro

3M's 8509/8510 is legit. No issue here in the past 5+ years.
On that note, if you're using calendared materials... you can't be too picky. Its a price-war, so quality will always vary, but I highly recommend 3M/Arlon/Mactac as good brands to compare alongside orafol.

nirupakah

use clear print film as for lamination?

It is more my question than a straight reply/advice (and this thread seemed alright to add it to instead of starting a new one) but it might turn out to be: let's say you print on the orajet 3162/3164 vinyl; what about using 3162 clear vinyl (available in gloss and matt) as a laminate? (the 3162 is cheaper than the oraguard 210 lamination film – at least in our part of the world; it is also thicker which from the optical-properties aspect might be a minus, form the ease-of-handling aspect a plus; the 3162 has water-based (?) adhesive, oraguard 210 has got solvent-based adhesive – this in my opinion is not necessary for laminating short-to-medium term films like orajet 3162/3164).
This has been suggested to me in talks with a supplier (as we are considering switching to orajet vinyls). We actually do this with Neschen Solvoprint Performance polymeric print film – the clear version is used as print film as well as lamination and this use is recommended by the manufacturer so I do not doubt it, but... I have never seen similar recommendation for the orajet 3162/3164 from Orafol...
So... has anyone here been using clear print films as lamination for the print films of the same line – something like the mentioned orajet 3162/3164 case? Thinking about it, I do not see why not do it (leaving aside the optical effect – this I think everyone must decide for oneself based on samples).

Thanks for opinions.