Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to Rtape

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Billct2, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    We have used Rtape Conform 4075 RLA forever....but the last few rolls have been curling really bad. Doesn't matter what we are taping with it, it doesn't lay flat like it used to. At first I thought maybe we got a bad roll or two...but now I just want to try something else. Anyone using a high tack transfer tape successfully that isn't Rtape?
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Tags:
  2. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Thanks Tex

3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Have you reached out to Rtape directly (not your distributor) to let them know you've been having issues?
    I put in an inquiry about one of their discontinued products, and the response I have gotten was stellar. They attempted to source old stock from distributors, and now they are waiting for a run of a similar product, to nab me some excess and convert it into the product I'm after. All of this and they realize I'm a small company who just wants one or two rolls. Pretty great company from what I've experienced.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Thanks J...I may give that a try

5. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
  6. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

Oracal HT 55 transfer tape is a great alternative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't know who makes Grimco's, but I have had good luck with Briteline premask.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. signrios

signrios Active Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Rio Grande Valley
    same here i have returned like 3 rolls to fellers for the same issue
    or because it is very hard to unwind and it tears off when pulled.

i second Briteline, not as good but very close to what R-tape used to be.

9. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Same here. No issues with it, and much less $$$

10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'll say all of my Rtape comes from Reece and I haven't had issues lately. Maybe Fellers had some issue?

11. McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs McDonald Signs & Graphics

Feb 11, 2013
    Guin, Alabama
    We've been using Rtape 4075 for years and it still works great. We have noticed that if you weed "air egress" vinyl that the tape doesn't stick very well to the exposed wax liner paper very well and will curl

12. karst41

karst41 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Stone Mountain, GA
    TRANSFERRITE: Not as thick a paper as 3m but is a really good trans tape.
    I only use this and 3m in my shop.
    Gregory1.com sells this at a good price.

The Hightack for spot colors is great and performs well.
    The Mid Tack for large digital prints is perfect adhesion.
    When we are installing onsite outside it gives you the edge that you need and
    comes off ok. It has resistance but still easy to work with.

BTW Gregory is in Kansas and I am in Atlanta. in cas you were wondering.

R Tape has gone down hill badly over the past few years.
    very thin paper and inconsistent adhesive.
    I have unused rolls of this in my shop. Justapainintheass to work with

Grimco's Brite Line is garbage too. and you never know what you are going to get with briteline. I have rolls of this garbage in my shop too.

3m psa2 is twice the price but is superior to all.

I have been at this a long time yall. I make and install and dont need no boosheit cheap materials at either end of the job.

13. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    used rtape for a decade. still love it. but switched to briteline/transferrite products and havent had issue aside from lower invoices

14. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    It's more expensive but we have completely switched to 3M SCPS-55. It works on everything including textured and frosted. It holds really well to liners and hasn't curled yet.

15. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    This stuff is hard to find, and comes in odd sizes (like no 30"). I see Grimco has it, do you have any other sources you use for it?

16. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We buy from Montroy and they cut the rolls to whatever size we need. Typically we keep 24in, 30in, and 54in in stock. We only stock 30in cut vinyl.

17. Signed Out

Signed Out Very Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    We have been on the hunt for an Rtape replacement as well. Have gone through a couple 54" rolls of the scps 55. Definitely good stuff and sticks the best I've seen to air release vinyl liners. Pricey and limited availability on sizes for some dumb reason. But works. Extra tacky coming off the roll though, can really feel the difference pushing a 54" roll of this stuff on the rollover table vs a 54" roll of r tape 4075.

Have been wanting to try r tape 4761, supposed to be designed for air release vinyls, but haven't yet. Plan to order a roll this week. Also curious to try oracal's tape. Anybody use the oracal stuff or R tape 4761?

18. Christian @ 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We have tried a lot of the tapes on the market. The SCPS outperforms them hands down. The Oracal tape is good as long as you can find it with consistency. The 4761 is nowhere near as good as the 3M, it's a shame too because I want to find a tape without 3M logos to confuse our clients

19. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Since I started this in March (seems a lifetime ago) I will follow up by saying we have tried Briteline and are satisfied with it. Also I am using this mostly for cast, calendared and reflective cut vinyl lettering and Edge printed/cut graphics, so the air egress issue doesn't come up for us.