• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternative to Rtape

Billct2

We have used Rtape Conform 4075 RLA forever....but the last few rolls have been curling really bad. Doesn't matter what we are taping with it, it doesn't lay flat like it used to. At first I thought maybe we got a bad roll or two...but now I just want to try something else. Anyone using a high tack transfer tape successfully that isn't Rtape?
Thanks

Last edited:

signrios

same here i have returned like 3 rolls to fellers for the same issue
or because it is very hard to unwind and it tears off when pulled.

i second Briteline, not as good but very close to what R-tape used to be.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
We've been using Rtape 4075 for years and it still works great. We have noticed that if you weed "air egress" vinyl that the tape doesn't stick very well to the exposed wax liner paper very well and will curl

karst41

TRANSFERRITE: Not as thick a paper as 3m but is a really good trans tape.
I only use this and 3m in my shop.
Gregory1.com sells this at a good price.

The Hightack for spot colors is great and performs well.
The Mid Tack for large digital prints is perfect adhesion.
When we are installing onsite outside it gives you the edge that you need and
comes off ok. It has resistance but still easy to work with.

BTW Gregory is in Kansas and I am in Atlanta. in cas you were wondering.

R Tape has gone down hill badly over the past few years.
very thin paper and inconsistent adhesive.
I have unused rolls of this in my shop. Justapainintheass to work with

Grimco's Brite Line is garbage too. and you never know what you are going to get with briteline. I have rolls of this garbage in my shop too.

3m psa2 is twice the price but is superior to all.

I have been at this a long time yall. I make and install and dont need no boosheit cheap materials at either end of the job.

MikePro

used rtape for a decade. still love it. but switched to briteline/transferrite products and havent had issue aside from lower invoices

Christian @ 2CT Media

It's more expensive but we have completely switched to 3M SCPS-55. It works on everything including textured and frosted. It holds really well to liners and hasn't curled yet.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
It's more expensive but we have completely switched to 3M SCPS-55. It works on everything including textured and frosted. It holds really well to liners and hasn't curled yet.
This stuff is hard to find, and comes in odd sizes (like no 30"). I see Grimco has it, do you have any other sources you use for it?

Signed Out

We have been on the hunt for an Rtape replacement as well. Have gone through a couple 54" rolls of the scps 55. Definitely good stuff and sticks the best I've seen to air release vinyl liners. Pricey and limited availability on sizes for some dumb reason. But works. Extra tacky coming off the roll though, can really feel the difference pushing a 54" roll of this stuff on the rollover table vs a 54" roll of r tape 4075.

Have been wanting to try r tape 4761, supposed to be designed for air release vinyls, but haven't yet. Plan to order a roll this week. Also curious to try oracal's tape. Anybody use the oracal stuff or R tape 4761?

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have been on the hunt for an Rtape replacement as well. Have gone through a couple 54" rolls of the scps 55. Definitely good stuff and sticks the best I've seen to air release vinyl liners. Pricey and limited availability on sizes for some dumb reason. But works. Extra tacky coming off the roll though, can really feel the difference pushing a 54" roll of this stuff on the rollover table vs a 54" roll of r tape 4075.

Have been wanting to try r tape 4761, supposed to be designed for air release vinyls, but haven't yet. Plan to order a roll this week. Also curious to try oracal's tape. Anybody use the oracal stuff or R tape 4761?
We have tried a lot of the tapes on the market. The SCPS outperforms them hands down. The Oracal tape is good as long as you can find it with consistency. The 4761 is nowhere near as good as the 3M, it's a shame too because I want to find a tape without 3M logos to confuse our clients

Billct2

Since I started this in March (seems a lifetime ago) I will follow up by saying we have tried Briteline and are satisfied with it. Also I am using this mostly for cast, calendared and reflective cut vinyl lettering and Edge printed/cut graphics, so the air egress issue doesn't come up for us.