• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternatives to Roland VersaCut?

Mike F

I can't cut a straight line to save my life, let alone a 6+ foot straight line. Only others I've been able to find that are similar to the VersaCut are made by Keencut. Their less expensive model looks way cheap and their more expensive model is a few hundred more than a VersaCut of the same size, so those are out of the question.

m_s_p

We use the Image Edge Cutting System which uses rails for the blade to go along. You get 4 30" rails that you can connect together. I use it a lot and it has helped improving my skills at cutting free hand with a ruler.

Mike F

We use the Image Edge Cutting System which uses rails for the blade to go along. You get 4 30" rails that you can connect together. I use it a lot and it has helped improving my skills at cutting free hand with a ruler.

Looks pretty nifty, does it have anything to hold it or the material in place? One of the main things I liked about the VersaCut when I used it was that it locks the material into place, it drives me nuts when I'm trying to cut something and the material shifts ever so slightly and throws the whole rest of the cut off. That thing looks like it digs into the table as well, I have a feeling if I have to do anything rigid with it like foamcore where I need to apply a fair amount of pressure it's gonna leave a pretty decent gouge in the mat.

m_s_p

You can adjust the depth of the blade when you are cutting. I usually cut on scrap foamcore or something so I don't gouge the table.

It doesn't have any way to hold the rail down. I usually stick some small strips of masking tape on the back edge to hold it in place. I find that going down slower is more consistent than ripping down a long edge quickly.

I liked it because it was a few hundred bucks and it allowed me to cut longer edges. It isn't perfect, but it works for now. My next step is to install the Kooto cutter I bought the other month so that I can cut foamcore posters quicker. The Kooto does hold material in place, but you are limited on the size.