• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alumalite between 2 posts

j.studley

I am new to the sign making industry so thank you in advance for your help. I have a 5' x 10' sign (1/2" alumalite) being mounted between 2 4x4 posts. The posts will have a white veneer. Is there a product manufactured specifically for mounting alumalite in this application?

I always used the washer heads too, but recently found a company named dane mccall they make really nice pvc sign frames. I ordered two they routed a track for my alumalite to fit right in. Customer was very pleased!!! Real classy look, price wasn't bad, and went together super quick with all hardware hidden. Definitely a great alternative if your looking to secure it nicely with nothing showing. They will make the frame to fit special sizes also. Below is one of the frames I purchased.

Attachments

• harmon field.jpg
    harmon field.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 179

OldPaint

5 ft X 10 ft.........i would at least put either a center post, or 1 X 4 on the back, top and bottom. weight and wind.....can cause problems later.

j.studley

Thank you all! Referring back to OldPaint... Is the extra support for 1/2" alumalite absolutely necessary? I'm in upstate NY so not to crazy as far as weather. Just damn cold!

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Thank you all! Referring back to OldPaint... Is the extra support for 1/2" alumalite absolutely necessary? I'm in upstate NY so not to crazy as far as weather. Just damn cold!

I would put a 2x4 support on the back top and bottom all the way across.

Since you may get a lot of snow in the winter I would not put it to close to the road.
That big wall of snow from the snowplow can pop the panel out from between the posts.
It would be more sturdy if you could put the posts in a couple of feet on each side of the panel. It is a different look but much more sturdy.

skyhigh

I would put the 1x4 stringers on the back myself. Even with the 1/2" material.
10ft between 2) 4x4's.....I'd want a screw in the middle (top and bottom)
(its only going to add an extra $10 for both stringers)

Center post.....NO.

OldPaint

I would put a 2x4 support on the back top and bottom all the way across.

Since you may get a lot of snow in the winter I would not put it to close to the road.
That big wall of snow from the snowplow can pop the panel out from between the posts.
It would be more sturdy if you could put the posts in a couple of feet on each side of the panel. It is a different look but much more sturdy.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

j.studley

This definitely makes sense but I'm dealing with a 2 sided sign so I'm trying to avoid the added material. Not for cost but for changing the look on one side. I'm thinking about using the 1 x 4 idea but with a 1/2" routed channel down the middle. Put one on top and one on bottom. Think that's enough? I'm also going to be using formed plastic lettering with pad mount. Anyone have a good experience with a certain type of adhesive?

OldPaint

well....its 2 SIDED NOW.......and if your gona do the 1/2 channel. use a 2 x 3. 1 X 4 will work but you wont have much depth on the 1 inch.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Double-sided at 5' x 10'.... skip the 1/2" alumalite, go with 1/8" and build a frame between your two posts and mount one to each side. Otherwise, you'll be sorry in no time flat.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
How are you going to stud mount letters to both sides of that thin of a double faced sign?