• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alumalite for routed letters???

Marlene

this sounded like a really bad idea but I thought I'd ask. I have a request for routed, stud mouted letters made from .375", can't remember the mm but it is the thicker alumalite. seems like a bad idea on serveral levels. anyone eve do this or heard of it?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
this sounded like a really bad idea but I thought I'd ask. I have a request for routed, stud mouted letters made from .375", can't remember the mm but it is the thicker alumalite. seems like a bad idea on serveral levels. anyone eve do this or heard of it?

.375" = 9.525mm (Alumalite comes in 6mm & 10mm).

I don't know how you would get a stud attached to it...? The aluminum is too thin to weld to or to hold the stud. You could VHB-tape and silicone it though.

Does the customer really want to see the corrugation?

jayhawksigns

We have done it, but with 1/4" material. We scuffed the back side of the material and used an adhesive and Gemini style pads. Worked out alright, again if the customer is okay with the edges looking as they will.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I always forget about pads. Most of the stuff I install is drilled and tapped. The pads would work, but the edges aren't going to look great.

Marlene

I thought the edges would look horrid too. they want these to stand off 1" so you can really get a good look at those edges. when Alumalite is sawed, there can be an almost hairy look to the edges and doesn't look great either. they would have to have pad glued on as there's not much for the studs to bite into. I just thought this would look really bad and wondered if I was wrong and it would be OK.

TheSnowman

They make stuff that's like alumalite, but thinner. I've ordered it both called ACM, and ACP. Not sure who makes it, but I assume anyone that could get alumalite can get that, because my supplier carried both. It's a solid core and would finish off nicer. It's a 3MM though...that's probably way thinner than you can do.

Marlene

thanks, I just wanted to make sure that when I tell them this is a stupid idea that I wasn't alone in the world thinking so