• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alumalite vs. Alupanel

EbsWeb5150

The cost and durability of each.
One Sign will be a 4x8 on a wall. the other is going to be a 3x4
thickness will be 1/8" thick

Craig Sjoquist

I use Alumalite, because it's is available never heard of Alupanel , so what is the differance ..?
Knows Alumalite has coroplase in between 2 sheets of alumanium

Pat Whatley

Alupanel is aluminum on a solid core, like dibond, polymetal or maxmetal

Alumalite is aluminum on corrugated plastic.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Glad you asked that, Craig. I've heard so many throw the term around and just thought it was a product not available in my area. We call it Dibond.

That's about all we use anymore. Very seldom do we order the corrugated innards.

:thumb:

Mosh

+1 on just looking at alumalite and it gets a dent!

MaxMetal is all we use on stuff like this.

showcase 66

I stay away from Alummalite anymore. First light hail storm and and it looked like someone shot it with an automatic machine soft pellet gun. Dents everywhere. MaxMetal or Dibond is the way to go. IMO.

threeputt

Alumalite is not used at our shop.

1) Looks bad on the edges.
2) Dents way too easily.
3) Corners and edges too sharp.

Not much to recommend it, really. We use Alupanel 3mm and 4mm from Denco.

ChiknNutz

Alupanel, Dibond, PolyMetal are all names for essentially the same thing, though each mfg is different and each has shorter/longer warranty. I think Dibond is longest and typically costs more than some of the "knockoffs". We got away from the Alumalite for the same reasons mentioned, but it is a lot stiffer than the Alupanel. So, for a sign that has to span between posts, Alumalite is superior in that regard, but the problem of denting is still present. In that case, MDO or PVC are probably better choices (though I know some don't like to use PVC for exterior apps).

Tubelite sells their own brand of Aluminum Composite thats just as good for a lot less then everything you have mentioned. Comes in 3mm and 6mm, only down side is you cant bend it as much as DiBond.

TheSnowman

We use Alupanel now too. Always used Alumalite in the past until my supplier ran out of it. I asked him why they didn't have it, he said no one wants it anymore now that they carried Alupanel. It's lighter, stronger, and about 1/2 the cost. No brainer.