Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alumalite vs dibond

Discussion in 'Materials' started by john1, Jun 7, 2012.

1. john1

john1 Guest

Hey guys, Was about to order 2 5x10' alumalite panels and i came across a thread talking about how it dents if you even look at it wrong and isn't as strong as dibond even though dibond is thinner.

The panels will be going against a flat wall so now i am thinking dibond 3mm would work better.

Anyone's suggestions on this?

Tags:
  2. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Go with a off brand

Grimco Max Metal or the soon to be Grimco (proveer) Tru Stock

The only benefit (imo) of alumilite over those is it is more rigid. When you are against a wall I would choose nothing else. $40-$55 a 4'x8' sheet

3. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    Yes. 3mm.

4. rfulford

rfulford Active Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Orlando
    I only use alumalite if the both faces of the panel are exposed. My understanding is that alumalite is more resistant to wind.

5. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    dibond like material is better for flat surfaces, does not collect material in the flutes and you don't have to worry about the dents, or how tight the screws are which will crush the flutes.

go with an off brand, NUDO poly-metal, Max metal, ETC... call your supplier they will have one.

6. john1

john1 Guest

Thanks guys, Would you recommend the 3mm dibond for a sign that has a braced frame behind it also?

7. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Diabond, Poly metal anything but Alumilite.......that stuff sucks.......and yes I have had a Major problem with it before.....De-laminating......

8. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012

I have had Diabond type material de-lam as well

John, as long as it is supported more than just the sides

9. john1

john1 Guest

Thanks guys

I will be building a wood frame with cross braces and mounting the 3mm dibond face to that also.

They are getting a building sign as well as sign with this brace frame