Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aluminium 3D sign glued or welded?

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by mf11, Mar 19, 2020.

1. mf11

mf11 New Member

Feb 6, 2020
    MEX
    We do glued with structural glues that allows movement, Is there a welder for aluminum sign?

Tags:
  2. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    aluminum can be welded with either a Tig or Mig welder utilizing the correct inert gas.

3. ddub900

ddub900 New Member

Mar 1, 2020
    Regina
    If you have to ask that question than i would stick to glue.

4. Rocco G

Rocco G Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Pennsauken NJ
    Depending on the sign, you can use an industrial adhesive. We use Lords 406/19 but the distributor should point you in the right direction for your needs. However if you are looking for a very cheap fix, this isn't it. The last time I bought the applicator (a caulking gun won't work) it was ~$150 and the tubes are about $50 each plus mixing tubes. You WILL need extra mixing tubes because it hardens in the tube in a short time. I've known people to put together Signcomp electrical boxes with just this adhesive but I don't recommend it. Plus you need to prep the aluminum to get the mill coating off so the adhesive will bond properly.

A MIG welder is really great for aluminum. If you are just starting out, taking it to a welding shop might be best. A welding setup (with machine and spool gun) will probably start at $2500.00 - ignoring things from harbor freight which are IMHO junk. A good one is more like $4000+. IIRC I spent $3500 on my setup about 12-13 years ago.

5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Find a welding shop around you that needs a sign your already comfortable making. Then see if they'd like to exchange some work, or even better, a couple of lessons on welding aluminum for a free sign. You will quickly know whether this is a capability you want to add yourself or take to a sub to knock out for you.

6. mf11

mf11 New Member

Feb 6, 2020
    MEX
    THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES!!! I HAVE SEEN THIS TYPE OF WELDERS HAVE YOU USE THEM?