• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Aluminum / ACM side Zippering

Devcnc

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has come across this and what was your solution. i cut 080 aluminum sheet and ACM with Sign Vinyl lately ive been getting a zippered edge on both products played with feeds and speeds but i cant seem to have them gone. Has anyone encountered this before??
Axyz machine, bit 63-614 Onsrud 16000@ 40 FR.
Thanks in Advance

Superior_Adam

routing aluminum can wear your bits pretty quick. Do you have some type of lubrication system when routing it? Anytime we start getting rougher edges on our Zund we change the bit and all is good again.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Tool and die maker here....with 40 years experience. Climb cutting always produces a better finish on aluminum.

Assuming you're using a RH cutter, cut around your substrate in a clockwise manner.

JB

unmateria

Im not sure if i understand you, but I cut that works with up and down (compression) tips, and going a little deeper (marking the wooden bed a little more). For 3mm ACM we usually use a 3mm bit. Works perfect.

Devcnc

Im not sure if i understand you, but I cut that works with up and down (compression) tips, and going a little deeper (marking the wooden bed a little more). For 3mm ACM we usually use a 3mm bit. Works perfect.
cool ive been using a .1875/ 3/16 bit for years and this just started to happen . I cut up to 60 pieces of aluminum a day and that takes all day. i use the bit from aluminum for ACM when it starts to wear out then up to 20 sheets of ACM. like I said the zippering is a recent development. ill keep that 3mm in mind for sure for ACM do you have a feed and speed to start out with

Devcnc

All good, except when the aluminum has a print on it, in which case you could use a downcut (no bueno on aluminum without making troughs on your table for chip evacuation) or flip your sheet over and the upcut bit works like a treat.
I use climb and a .1875 bit been using this for 5 /6 years specifically Onsrud 63-614 once the bit is finished with the 080 it moves over to ACM, I average about 60 or more signs a day when cutting 080 and about the same or more with ACM with the same bit. its just been recently that the 080 has started to zipper even off a new bit.

Devcnc

routing aluminum can wear your bits pretty quick. Do you have some type of lubrication system when routing it? Anytime we start getting rougher edges on our Zund we change the bit and all is good again.
no i have a MDF wasteboard with vacuum table I can't use lube plus we have vinyl signage ontop our machine is getting upgraded and were adding an air mister that might help . its the zippering of the edge

Devcnc

Tool and die maker here....with 40 years experience. Climb cutting always produces a better finish on aluminum.

Assuming you're using a RH cutter, cut around your substrate in a clockwise manner.

JB
yes sir .1875 climb cut 16000 @ 40 FR. really would like 100 fr hahaha seriously its just recently that the zippering has started I use a Onsrud 63-614 first on 080 then finish it off on ACM

unmateria

cool ive been using a .1875/ 3/16 bit for years and this just started to happen . I cut up to 60 pieces of aluminum a day and that takes all day. i use the bit from aluminum for ACM when it starts to wear out then up to 20 sheets of ACM. like I said the zippering is a recent development. ill keep that 3mm in mind for sure for ACM do you have a feed and speed to start out with
Spindle at 14-18k rpm and feed about 1000-1500 since we use bad quality chinese bits (like 20€ per 3 bits lol)... That bits are really soft steel, but for this (acm+vynil in 1 or 2 sides) works very well while you go like 0.3mm onto the bed. I dont remember to have seen a bad edge in all the year.

Devcnc

Spindle at 14-18k rpm and feed about 1000-1500 since we use bad quality chinese bits (like 20€ per 3 bits lol)... That bits are really soft steel, but for this (acm+vynil in 1 or 2 sides) works very well while you go like 0.3mm onto the bed. I dont remember to have seen a bad edge in all the year.
is that 1000 - 15000 ipm or a metric. MM

unmateria

Mm... You can begin slower if u want, but in that range works perfect, more than 1500 it will break the bit sometimes. With a good compression bit I bet you can go faster than that. I sometimes use a good 6mm one and I can go to 3000 but sometimes i get some plastic hairs on the edge and i have to sand or remove them with a knife (are easy and fast to clean, but i prefer to just pick up the pieces lol).
Dont go to full speed on spindle if you dont go full speed (before break i mean) on the feed, since these bits also tend to melt at too much spindle speed (what they cut stays there in the hole)