• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum cabinet without welding

nolanola

Hello forum.
I would like to know how to make sign cabinets similar to the attached images.
Currently we offer
1/4" ACM signs (the most affordable)
1/2" luster board (this material has a poor reputation for falling apart)
2" or 3" HDU (way more expensive and take at least 20 hours to produce)
I think there should be an option between 1/4" ACM and 2" HDU. A
I like the sign I saw a couple days ago. We used to cut and weld and paint a square aluminum tube and glue aluminum faces to it. It took a lot of time and the signs ended up being more heavy than it was necessary. Now I think that we can use aluminum with thinner walls (1/16" instead of 1/8") and keep it together without welding (VHB tape + Lord adhesive).
Do you have experience with this? Is there an aluminum extrusion that would work better for it?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you wanna go lighter weight, will the waveiness matter ?? Notice the beefines of that bracket ?? That's not just for show.

I think ya could do better than those U-brackets, but..........................

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Sign Comp. Check Eastern Metals if they service your area. Proper 2 part panel bonding adhesive should work too, don't cheap out with JB weld or something like that.

JBurton

Signtologist
Please go back and drill a proper hole, bolt an eyebolt (for overhead applications) and use a proper shackle to suspend signs over people.
I see SignComp offers a profile that comes with little corner inserts.
That'll work, but not without some reinforcement for a hanging/projecting sign like you have here.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
On a different note... I bought one of the sign comp extrusions for a 4x12 lighted cabinet. It had those corner inserts too. I don't know if I put it together wrong or not but it was flimsy as hell. I ended up having to weld supports on it. If I was going to break out the welder I shoulda just built it myself.

JBurton

Signtologist
I didn't install this sign.
Oh, my bad, I read that sideways... Save yourself the hassle and just call whatever code enforcement is in play, or leave it be and let the rust from those U bolt plates rubbing the pole enact the vengeance my heart so desires.
On a different note... I bought one of the sign comp extrusions for a 4x12 lighted cabinet. It had those corner inserts too. I don't know if I put it together wrong or not but it was flimsy as hell. I ended up having to weld supports on it. If I was going to break out the welder I shoulda just built it myself.
The corner supports are really there as a dead simple way to square a cabinet. Pop them in, weld them up, and you can force the bows and dips out with the back panel and face for a very square cabinet. (I'd still opt for extrusions if you're building it yourself, saves so much time compared to stick building and skinning a frame)

signbrad

You don't really need to weld the knock-down cabinets, but it makes them stay square better. Lord works, but welding is quick and easy. If you use Lord adhesive, invest in a bunch of large locking ViceGrip-type welding clamps. There's nothing more frustrating than finding your cabinet out of square after the glue has set up. You can also put screws through those corner gussets, or flathead machine screws with countersunk holes if you don't want fastener heads to stick out. I loved knock-down kits as I worked out of my garage on saw horses for many years.

About welding—most people have no idea how easy aluminum welding can make fabrication. I took a class at the local vo-tech when I lived in Arkansas. I hated stick welding (my jeans caught on fire from my cuffs catching hot stuff). But when we were introduced to the MIG, I fell in love. I stayed in the class a couple more weeks then quit and went and bought a tiny Lincoln. I should have finished the class but I was anxious to make welding money. I learned, with practice, to weld thin stuff, and it was actually fun to make pans with radius corners.

I marvel at the beautiful welds on other bicycles when I ride.

Brad in Kansas City

jfiscus

Rap Master
You can use Lord's adhesive along with aluminum angle along the edges/corners and make the faces from thin aluminum or routed ACM. As stated, correctly reinforce any locations/sides for mounting.
Contact your vendor for the full Lord's adhesive chart/brochure to be sure you're purchasing the correct product for the application.