• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum doors

washingtonsignguy

I had a good existing customer recently ask for some signs for a couple rental trucks they are using to keep things moving during their 2 month busy season (christmas). And by trucks i mean semi. They were wondering about temporary signage they can throw on the doors with their DOT numbers and everything. My first obvious thought is magnets, but i know that not all trucks doors are metal, so i asked and he confirmed they were alluminum. They didnt really want to pay for the vinyl to go on and then me to take them off, which is what i was telling him would be the best option. I ended up making a pair mags since he was in a hurry on one truck that he could tape on or something (i know, but customer is always right). Is there any other options out there. I have done some small static cling stuff but nothing bigger than a 5" decal. Would that hold up well? Any other options to tell them? Thanks for the ideas.

visual800

Ive run across this. Why are pepple so damn ignorant. You have an aluminum truck, your options are vinyl and..........oh thats all. Sure they can tape mags to it which is pointless, but I cant think of any other option besides pop riveting or tek screwing a sign to it

Now that Ive ranted about customers, if it were ME and vinyl letering was out I would offer digital printing on a 3m scothccal decal. Pulls of fairly easy and would solve all problems

washingtonsignguy

Thanks for the ideas. I will have to research phototex. never heard of that. Its not that the customer is being cheap, i think if they had something they could resuse, they wouldnt mind paying for it.

Nuagedesigns

Same thing happened to me about a week and a half ago. Large nationwide customer calls orders magnets for two rental tractors that hes using while his new ones are still on order. Made sure he wanted magnets, shipped them to him and i get a phone call they dont stick. I ask him if he checked if they were steel first he says no. I tell him they are prob aluminum skins and that they wont work he says he will ship them back and to make them out of aluminum magnets and resend......I almost fell over. and he still didnt understand after I explained.

CanuckSigns

Oracal 631 removable vinyl, it can't be re-used, but for the price, cut him 4-5 years worth at once and be done with it. Everytime I make something that can be re-used the next year, the customer ends up losing it anyways.

Sign Eagle

Phototex would work fine, just the expense to buy a whole roll for one small job. Avery has a 6mil wall film with a low tac removable adhesive that would be reusable.

washingtonsignguy

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I still think printing and couple years worth out of a removable vinyl is the best option. I see that phottex is a fabric vinyl. I have used fabirc vinyls before with much frustration. its probly better, but ill explain everything and see what they want to do. Thanks again

4R Graphics

Perhaps you could do a digital print and apply it to a substrate like Max-Metal the customer could use (supplied by you) 3M VHB tape or some kind of double sided foam tape. Just put the tape around the edges of the sign. When they are done with them they could remove them like I remove emblems on car wraps. To remove use some fishing line and just run it behind the substrate to cut the tape. Then all they have to remove is the little bit of adhesive around the edges.

SignManiac

I don't even see why you are wasting your time with someone who is looking for something next to free. What a waste of time that could be better spent on a valuable customer.

d fleming

I don't even see why you are wasting your time with someone who is looking for something next to free. What a waste of time that could be better spent on a valuable customer.
You never know when the stupid, small thing you took the time to do for someone can turn into more profitable work. Some of my largest accounts started with a favor no one else would touch or fixing something someone else had screwed up.

jc1cell

I see that phottex is a fabric vinyl. I have used fabirc vinyls before with much frustration. its probly better, but ill explain everything and see what they want to do. Thanks again

Big Fish has something similar to phototex that's not fabric and there's also the seramark brand. Not fabric as far as I can remember. Same adhesive.

jc

Pat Whatley

You never know when the stupid, small thing you took the time to do for someone can turn into more profitable work. Some of my largest accounts started with a favor no one else would touch or fixing something someone else had screwed up.

Somebody has always got that once in a lifetime needle in a haystack story.