• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum pan sign, side mount, custom frame. Is it the way to go?

nolanola

Hello.
I have a good client and I want to make a good sign for him. He runs a law firm, the office is located in a busy neighborhood with nice signs.
I want it to be a blade sign with a "solid" bracket, as opposed to a hanging sign.
A frame will be welded of 1 inch square aluminum tubing with 1/4 inch plate, aluminum pan faces with aluminum flat cut letters 3/8" thick will be mounted to the frame with fasteners on the top and bottom sides. After that the sign will be mounted to a wall.
The image is attached.

aluminum sign law firm.jpg

I have three questions:
1) Is it a good idea?
2) Am I overthinking it? Are there prefabricated brackets for that on the market?
3) How to make the overlay of the faces right on the sides?

Thank you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You might want to consider guy wires to prevent any eventual movement from wind on a stationary sign like that. Each flange should have 4.... about 6" lags going into the building.

TimToad

I like the idea of it in general as a permanent sign, but feel like 1" x 1" square tube isn't stout enough for a sign that size.

Also, if its a double sided sign, it gets a little trickier on your panfaces in that small of dimension of a frame. If you bumped it up to 2"x2", then you would need two 16"x36" x 1" deep pan faces and you'd have to notch out where they slide in over the framework or just have the tops, bottoms and front edge broken. I usually don't like to do that because leaving the back end open invites spiders and dust bunnies to collect in there.

There are some pre-made brackets out there that might work, but you'd probably be better off having a local metal worker weld something up for you and have it powdercoated if you're not equipped to build it yourself.

spectrum maine

Hello.
I have a good client and I want to make a good sign for him. He runs a law firm, the office is located in a busy neighborhood with nice signs.
I want it to be a blade sign with a "solid" bracket, as opposed to a hanging sign.
A frame will be welded of 1 inch square aluminum tubing with 1/4 inch plate, aluminum pan faces with aluminum flat cut letters 3/8" thick will be mounted to the frame with fasteners on the top and bottom sides. After that the sign will be mounted to a wall.
The image is attached.

View attachment 116645

I have three questions:
1) Is it a good idea?
2) Am I overthinking it? Are there prefabricated brackets for that on the market?
3) How to make the overlay of the faces right on the sides?

Thank you.

I would weld out of steel with bigger wall flanges. if aluminum 1 1/2" minimum tubing size & A VERY GOOD WELDER" Then bond faces to frame w/ lords adhesive for a seamless look.

FS-Keith

2x2" alum with 8x8" plates, glue a .125 alum face on and pin mount the letters. Needing a guy wire depends on what the building is. If you can throughbolt or get about 4" solid embedment that thing is not going anywhere