• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum Pole Signs, need help

Stacey K

I like making signs
Looking to make aluminum signs 18" x 4-5' to hang on 2 sides of a square pole (like a street pole banner) -- they do not want banners. This is meant to be permanent signage, not seasonal.

1. How thick should the aluminum be? I saw one site with 3"16" (.1875) thick sign panels. Seems like overkill?
2. Any ideas on brackets or should I contact a local welder have them custom made? Haven't had much luck searching.

Thank you!!

Billct2

I think 1/4" would be sufficient.
The big issue is the brackets and how well they are fastened to the poles.
I have seen square pole brackets a few times so they may be available off the shelf.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think 1/4" would be sufficient.
The big issue is the brackets and how well they are fastened to the poles.
I have seen square pole brackets a few times so they may be available off the shelf.
When you say 1/4" thick are you talking about the aluminum sign? I was thinking .080 might be thick enough since it's only 18"x4'. I am having a welder friend take a look as it might be just as easy for him to make some brackets for me so they fit the poles nicely.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
54" is too wide to hang on a single 2" post, unless the 54" is up & down. In that case, .080 aluminum would be fine. Just did 3mm ACM double sided on a 2" square tube and it was a little wobbly, but the customer already had the post there and did not want to pay to have another one put in. Signs were 24" wide by 36" up & down.

rjssigns

Wind load calc in my area of Wisconsin is based on 30 pounds per square foot.

Overbuild the project so you don't have to worry about callbacks.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I should give more details sorry...Steel pole is 4" in diameter firmly attached to concrete on bottom and roof on top. Gino - yes width is 18" height is 48-54". I was thinking something like the photo that I found online with .080 aluminum.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1010.jpeg
    IMG_1010.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 227

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I thought there would be a pole going up the back of it giving it support.

Think about it, you want to put on a light standard a SOLID sail which won't let any wind or breeze pass through whatsoever. Those standards are meant to sway in the breeze or wind, but not with that much resistance connected to it. I think you might want to re-think a metal sign at all in this situation. Otherwise, you'll hafta get an engineer in to determine if the light standard can take that extra load..... not weight wise, but windshear.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Sorry, I thought there would be a pole going up the back of it giving it support.

Think about it, you want to put on a light standard a SOLID sail which won't let any wind or breeze pass through whatsoever. Those standards are meant to sway in the breeze or wind, but not with that much resistance connected to it. I think you might want to re-think a metal sign at all in this situation. Otherwise, you'll hafta get an engineer in to determine if the light standard can take that extra load..... not weight wise, but windshear.
We started with smaller pole banners and they ended up wanting larger metal signs. Banners of this size I don't believe would last long in a Wisconsin winter. Not sure what the max size might be. They face South.

rjssigns

Will it be within reach? If so you have to think about someone bending it around the pole. Also need to check regs on minimum height to bottom.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very good point. Around here, whether a sign is flush mount, perpendicular or pole mounted, it must be 10.5' to the bottom of the sign from the ground.... up. Monument signs, free standing and real estate do not fit in with those specs.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Happened to get an email about this product using 0.125" aluminum panels today:
https://www.howardindustries.com/products/perma-banner-pole-banner-signs
Thanks Uncle Bun! I just received a quote from them and the price is less than I expected. Seems like a nice system, I think I like this option the best so far. You cannot order just the bracket, you must also order the sign board but you can order it plain and letter it yourself.

Rjssigns and Gino - I talked to the city and sign codes don't apply to schools. Not sure if that's common or not. I did send over my specs just to be sure. Someone made a good point about kids bending them around however our schools are all equipped with outdoor cameras so that does eliminate the smart vandals.