• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum sign ?

Bluedog

Is it ok to cover bare unfinished aluminum with 751 vinyl then letter on top with 751? Instead of painting the aluminum? If so what is the best way to achieve this? Thanks!

Bluedog

Also has anyone used Zinsser primer from lowes on bare aluminum ? It says it can be used on aluminum? It is a water clean up primer!

Bluedog

What if I have to put a seam in the 751 used to cover the aluminum, what is the recommended over lap? Would it be best to avoid lettering over the seem? I really appriciate all you help, thanks!

Bluedog

I got the aluminum for free, 1/8"x4'x8', bare unfinished , was just trying to take advantage of it being free and use it!

ChicagoGraphics

I use to spray Zinsser primer on bare sheet metal blanks and use that as my as my top coat, did thousands of signs like that and theres alot of them still out there today, the white primer background is still on them but the lettering is gone., yes its water clean up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's a myriad of ways to clean mill finish aluminum. Pick one and for the most part, a water-based primer and paint should work, if you don't have access to a spray booth. Aluminum expands and contracts at a very face pace and so does your latex paints, so it should bond well.

As for a seam, why would you use vinyl too small to do the job correctly ?? Get the size you need and do it right. Honestly, that's one of my biggest pet peeves........ using wrong materials when you know better. Sure it's gonna cost you more, but isn't your customer worth it ?? You're skimping out on a free piece of expensive substrate and now you wanna skimp out on your other supplies. Do you wanna do this job with basically nothing outta pocket and charge normal price for a half-a$$ed job ??

C'mon, either do it right or pass on it.

Bluedog

I searched this site and the Internet , a lot of talk of etching primer! I tested the Zinsser primer on a smaller piece of aluminum and then painted with latex, seems fine, but was concerned about long term?

Bluedog

Thanks for the answers! I wasn't trying to skimp on anything, that's why I asked! So the seam would be undesirable!

Bluedog

I usually buy painted aluminum , close to the color I want to paint, lightly sand and then roll on the paint! I wasn't sure about painting bare aluminum , that's why I asked about covering with 751

S'N'S

Aluminum is best painted with an acid etching primer if you want a superior finish and good adhesion.

This ↑ .....I always use Etch primer before painting but just clean thoroughly if floodcoating with vinyl. If you are worried about laying down that size vinyl, you can do a wet install.

OlsonSigns601

Well if you do decide to cover in vinyl instead of paint I would cover in 48" 651. The 48" roll is actually 49.9" or something.

Its cheaper and because its covering the entire board in my opinion 751 would be over kill. You could do the lettering in 751 but the background I think would be fine in 651.

visual800

Also has anyone used Zinsser primer from lowes on bare aluminum ? It says it can be used on aluminum? It is a water clean up primer!

hell no I would not use that stuff on aluminum. I use nothing but 2 part epoxy on aluminum HOWEVER why are you buying mill finish it comes in white in more gauges than it used to. I avoid if I can having to prime sing it comes painted

Jillbeans

I didn't realize there were two threads about the same aluminum.
Make a shed roof out of the free 4'x8'. Or make your own sign with it however you decide.
If you're making a sign to sell to a customer, buy new.
It's less costly and less work for you in the long run.
If I was a client I would not want to pay for some experimental type thing.
Love....Jill

John Butto

AWLGRIP wash primer CF substrate primer S6300 2 part aerosol
Comes in a spray can that gets mixed together with a separate nozzle on bottom of can when activated. One time use only.