• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Am I Crazy or is this low?

Locals Find!

I have a supplier I use in town. He is another sign shop I contract work out to. Today he tells me he is offering (Retail) 3M window perf for only $7.50 a sq. ft. printed & installed.

I don't print my own vinyl or anything else in house, so I don't know what the current costs of maintaining equipment and supplies are but, is this normal or just crazy low?

HulkSmash

You kidding me? I can't even do econo perf that cheap.

I offer 3M window perf for $18.00 a sqft. oh that doesn't include install.

speedmedia

Yes that is terribly low and the reason our industry went into the shitter....

We are between $15 - $20 psf without install as well.

Kurt

Locals Find!

Great so I am not crazy this dude is. Well, I am off to find a client willing to be my guinea pig with some perf from this guy. Will post pics once I find someone and its installed.

Might as well make a nice profit while I can based on the numbers you guys are giving me.

Richard G

Not so crasy. I have a company in this area that is doing it for about the same price. This company has been in bed with 3M forever and there prices are crasy. That is why I don't use 3M.
Just my 2 cents!

GraphixUnlimited

we re $18 bucks a foot here in good ol canada eh and thats not installed but laminated ( i would never sell window perf without it myself )

cheers eh

Locals Find!

Update everyone was asking if the price the guy gave me was laminated or not.

I just found out he isn't laminating. How big of a difference will this make on say a storefront window or door etc...??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If he has a special or something going... I can understand his price.

He might gang all of his perf jobs and print them all at once, one day a week. Then go out another day and make a big loop installing them. Heck, if he has enough to keep him going a whole day..... he might make $1,200 to $1,500 in a day with minimal outlay..... if he's energetic.

Locals Find!

Gino,

Opinion on the no lamination part. Will it make that big of a difference on a storefront window / door. I am in Florida lots of Rain and a lot more Sun exposure. Just wanna make sure I don't sell someone a load of garbage with my name on the invoice. I pride myself on only selling decent products. I don't want to ruin my reputation.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Adtechia - the lam makes a HUGE difference. You'll collect dirt, debris and other fun stuff in the perf holes that will show. Then it collects and tries to work it's way in.

And the lam does offer SOME UV protection... important in my mind here in Sunny FL. More important though - what kind of printer is the guy printing with?

Locals Find!

Adtechia - the lam makes a HUGE difference. You'll collect dirt, debris and other fun stuff in the perf holes that will show. Then it collects and tries to work it's way in.

And the lam does offer SOME UV protection... important in my mind here in Sunny FL. More important though - what kind of printer is the guy printing with?

Roland 51 something??? I am not exactly sure, does that sound right or close to right?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Addie..... any professional will use a laminate whenever possible.

There are exceptions. In fact, we just did a job like this few months ago. The seven windows were 49" x I think 60". We applied all from the outside, but there was a tight gasket fitting storm window over the top. We had removed the storm windows, lettered the windows direct and the maintenance guy put the storms windows back on. I gave the customer the choice in order to save money. Like Stacy mentioned.... without that protection, it's a crap shoot how long they'll last until they look dirty, start showing wear n' tear, not to mention any window cleaners removing or hazing the inks with some of their chemicals.

Unless the customer knows why or why not to use a laminate, your customers will at least be well informed when making the decision.

Letterbox Mike

For our area, honestly sounds a little low considering that's installed, but it's pretty close. We've got shops here selling for $4-5 p.s.f. not installed (or laminated).

HulkSmash

For our area, honestly sounds a little low considering that's installed, but it's pretty close. We've got shops here selling for $4-5 p.s.f. not installed (or laminated).

for 3M? um its 2.20 a SQ foot to BUY. that doesnt include 30 cent sqft it cost for ink. That doesnt include trimming time to load and unload blah blah blah etc etc.

i wouldn't get out of bed to do a window perf for $4 a sqft unless it's some chitty Solvex perf from fellers. Actually.. not even with that.

Locals Find!

Thanks for all the help. I won't be selling this without Laminate. At least not in my area. Based on popular opinion to do so would be the same as selling garbage and cost me my reputation. I am in this for the long haul.

Thanks again everyone.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We do $6 not laminated and $7 laminated with ClearFocus... Depending on the customer I'll charge install of $50/hr. Takes maybe 20 - 30mins to do a typical rear window but we charge a minimum of 1hr if we charge for install.

But we are also competing with BlueMedia and their foreign vinyls that are often "substituted" for 3M unannounced to the customer.