• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Am I just getting to old for this?

Jeff

I have been lettering race cars for over 25 years for this "team". Back in the day when we were "young" we did some nice "clean" paint-lettering-stripping jobs on the cars. Of recent (we're older now) it's hang a one color body (mostly black ones) on it and here you go. I have continued to give them clean, legible, what I think, nice looking cars. (that fits the taste of the teams dad and myself) The now 18 year old team driver "the son" has a more "modern" taste.

Cars from earlier this year that I did... Nason cars for NSS jpeg.jpg Jeff's LF side.jpg Jeff's RT side.jpg

This wrap was produced using some of my art files, but I had nothing to do with the design. From a design standpoint I think I could pick this apart left & right. There are just so many wrong elements.
wrapped LF side.jpg wrapped RT side.jpg wrapped back.jpg wrapped front.jpg

A comment was made that it looks fast just sitting there...is that a good thing? From any kind of distance I think this will be illegible. It will be racing at the Milwaukee Mile this weekend. I realize that most of the time the sponsors names are not readable from the stands but the numbers should be...at least on the front stretch.

This post is not out of bitterness toward the wrapping of race cars (which I am not interested in doing) but the over all design and lack of legibility.

So again I ask you, am I getting to old for this business? Does this lettering/graphics appeal to you? Are you young..say 25 or less? middle...say 26-49 or old (like me) 50+? (not that I'm saying 50 is old, I'm merely thinking in terms of taste in lettering styles)

On a related subject, the stacker trailer I just did (posted on the portfolio forum) for this team must have not appealed to many here either?

Tim4

Your designs work for a race car.

The other designs work for the marketeer

Yours are indeed legible at speed.

A design to sell T-shirts is what they need

rjssigns

I liked the stacker you did. I'm "older" and like clean work.

As far as the new graphics that seems to be the way now. And if you think that stuff is wild you got nothing on the dirt track guys up here in the north woods. Full wraps on the IMCA mods are normal with their eye searing colors and wild layouts.

visual800

I wouldnt be too concerned over a disposable racecar, and that is what they are. I think its looks good!

OldPaint

i always told the stock guys i did work for........
how many EMBELLISHMENTS........of the numbers ....can you see from the stands................at 90 MPH????? answer was .......NONE))))))
THE MOST i would do on most of the cars i did was a 3 color number, main number color, as much contrast to the car as i could get. outlined in the brightest color near the car color i had........and a drop shadow to give it depth.....black, gray......depending on the car body color.

Attachments

• stcokcar 7.jpg
    stcokcar 7.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 63

Jeff

I wouldnt be too concerned over a disposable racecar, and that is what they are. I think its looks good!

I'm not concerned about losing out on lettering race cars...in fact I have vowed to retire from doing them, but I do still have a few customers that like my "old school" ways and are willing to pay!

I just wondered how much this style appealed to a group of my peers :rolleyes:

Billct2

There was another reason for simple back when (and maybe still today), these things need a lot of touching up/redos and the fancier the design the bigger the cost.

Back when I started the guys building the cars were also the guys driving them and paying for everything. Now I am doing jobs for them and their kids are the drivers, and they were handed the ride, din't have to spend all those hours and dollars putting it together.

Speedsterbeast

Ah yes, aging and changing trends. I'm amazed people are surprised that they don't care for "new" things as much as the old. Of course you like the older style. That's what you grew up with. My dad loved the old Miller Indy cars compared to the new ones. I loved the 80's Nascar style compared to the 2000's. Go to you tube and pick a hit song from the 90's. It's hilarious if you're over forty, every person in their twenties remarks on how "they don't make music like that anymore" yes, from the 90's.