• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Am I making the right decision

Andrew Allen

Let me start by introducing myself my name is Andrew Allen. I own an auto glass and tint company in California. I’ve been doing auto glass and tint for 25 years. I am looking at doing color changes and vehicle wraps. I just got back from SEMA . I would like to purchase a printer but I’m getting conflicting stories from other people. ( solvent printer or latex printer ) i’ve done a few hoods trunks and bumpers. It seems easier to install than PPF. I forgot to mention I have a 30-40k budget.

KMC

Graphic Artist
i would start off by purchasing about 25 yards (for a standard full wrap) of a precoloured wrap film and wrapping your own vehicle
if you intend to do a complete colour change you will need a lot more

then look into a graphic designer for designing your wraps
as for the printer i have worked with both solvent and latex and i prefer the latex

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum.

I would start first by getting your phone number off your avatar.

You're gonna get as many conflicting stories here... as anywhere else. It all boils down to what one prefers and feels most comfortable in using. They all have their pros and cons and to ask the membership here.... it'll just be personal preferences and you know what that means......... nothing more than opinions and then it turns into...................

Andrew Allen

i would start off by purchasing about 25 yards (for a standard full wrap) of a precoloured wrap film and wrapping your own vehicle

as for the printer i have worked with both solvent and latex and i prefer the latex
Welcome to the forum.

I would start first by getting your phone number off your avatar.

You're gonna get as many conflicting stories here... as anywhere else. It all boils down to what one prefers and feels most comfortable in using. They all have their pros and cons and to ask the membership here.... it'll just be personal preferences and you know what that means......... nothing more than opinions and then it turns into...................

I’ll use a different one. I have 75 yards of 3m gloss black I’ve been using for the roofs and little things I’ve practiced on. Is there a printer that requires less maintenance when sitting? It will probably sit for weeks on end until I can get it business ramped up.

Andrew Allen

I have a couple choices on graphic designers from my wife’s work that would do it on the side.

flyplainsdrifta

if you're not going to be running consistently, go latex, and learn all you can in your downtime about the printer BEFORE you start getting jobs. if you don't know anything about printers, learning curve will be steep, but if you are the operator its important to know what your doing before you get stuck in the middle of a job with a huge problem that you don't know how to solve. other than that, you will absolutely need a laminator as well. signs 101 is a pretty solid resource for help but if you do go the latex route, take advantage of HPs training and help areas to learn as much as you can.

2B

Find a printer to do your wrap printing, at least until you can use the machine more than a couple times a month.

There are several Merchants here who offer these services, that is outsourced printing wrap graphics

jriley

Is there a printer that requires less maintenance when sitting? It will probably sit for weeks on end until I can get it business ramped up.

Whichever printer you choose, it will run automatic cleanings while it's sitting. However, in my opinion, you should run some small prints several times a week--even if you don't have jobs.

I know some folks have mentioned latex ink. Make sure to do some research on solvent inks as well. Many of the wrap guys I've seen use Mutohs and Rolands. I believe, with your budget, you'd be able to jump right into a 54"/64" printer or printer/cutter and laminator. Have a chat with some of your dealers, get some literature, and see what they offer. Since this is your first printer, make sure they have friendly, helpful, knowledgeable techs available to do the install and training and continued on-site support (for warranty work) and phone/e-mail support. Once you narrow it down, come back and ask for opinions about what you're interested on this forum.

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Though I tend to agree about finding a local vendor, being that he is in the middle of nowhere and in a depressed area, there may not be a local shop able (or willing) to supply him with printing. If he got a printer, he may be the only guy in town with a quality large format printer. We've had to go as far as Lake Elsinore for "local" printing... some 35 miles away.

It's possible that you can offer your services to local shops when the printer is not in use.

Eric H

I'm assuming you plan on doing commercial work with the printer do you have any design experience? We are mostly a commercial shop with occasional work on personal vehicles, roofs , stripes etc.. In my opinion while they seem similar they are very different.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Let me start by introducing myself my name is Andrew Allen. I own an auto glass and tint company in California. I’ve been doing auto glass and tint for 25 years. I am looking at doing color changes and vehicle wraps. I just got back from SEMA . I would like to purchase a printer but I’m getting conflicting stories from other people. ( solvent printer or latex printer ) i’ve done a few hoods trunks and bumpers. It seems easier to install than PPF. I forgot to mention I have a 30-40k budget.

Call me, I'm local to you and I can help you I guarantee it! 714-878-7989 I am Josh

kcollinsdesign

Old member
In many cases it is better to use a non-local printer. Wholesale prices are generally better, 1 – 2 day turnaround, and it is cheaper for me to have it delivered to my door than to drive across town to pick it up. Non-local wholesale vendors are also not your competition.

equippaint

In many cases it is better to use a non-local printer. Wholesale prices are generally better, 1 – 2 day turnaround, and it is cheaper for me to have it delivered to my door than to drive across town to pick it up. Non-local wholesale vendors are also not your competition.
It's not always about money. The notion of everyone is a competitor will not serve you well either. You stand to gain much more by establishing relationships with other locals in the industry.

Andrew Allen

if you're not going to be running consistently, go latex, and learn all you can in your downtime about the printer BEFORE you start getting jobs. if you don't know anything about printers, learning curve will be steep, but if you are the operator its important to know what your doing before you get stuck in the middle of a job with a huge problem that you don't know how to solve. other than that, you will absolutely need a laminator as well. signs 101 is a pretty solid resource for help but if you do go the latex route, take advantage of HPs training and help areas to learn as much as you can.

Thank you for the advice. Being a glass guy for over 20 years I think will be a plus for installs. Thankfully my wife is more skilled on the computer.

Andrew Allen

Whichever printer you choose, it will run automatic cleanings while it's sitting. However, in my opinion, you should run some small prints several times a week--even if you don't have jobs.

I know some folks have mentioned latex ink. Make sure to do some research on solvent inks as well. Many of the wrap guys I've seen use Mutohs and Rolands. I believe, with your budget, you'd be able to jump right into a 54"/64" printer or printer/cutter and laminator. Have a chat with some of your dealers, get some literature, and see what they offer. Since this is your first printer, make sure they have friendly, helpful, knowledgeable techs available to do the install and training and continued on-site support (for warranty work) and phone/e-mail support. Once you narrow it down, come back and ask for opinions about what you're interested on this forum.
I'm assuming you plan on doing commercial work with the printer do you have any design experience? We are mostly a commercial shop with occasional work on personal vehicles, roofs , stripes etc.. In my opinion while they seem similar they are very different.

I don’t know jack lol. Everything I’ve done has been self taught.