• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Am I supposed to care?

Locals Find!

I been in this same guys shoes as Pat is dealing with once or twice in my lifetime. He probably forgot all about owing you the money and you got it at the right time. Good for You Pat!

Sometimes life sucks, don't feel bad for him he made the mistake not you. No one ever felt sorry for me when I paid a debt I owed whether I needed the money for something else or not. Why should you feel sorry for him??

laserman70

I know this sounds harsh
Should you Care?
Does your suppliers care if you dont pay your bills due to hard times?
Does the Electric company care if you dont pay your bill due to hard times?
Does the bank care if you dont pay your mortgage due to hard times?
Does this customer care that you had to chase them down for money and wait all this time to get yours?
The answer is NO!
Business is business and should always be. My 1st business went through tough times years ago. I figured out ways to pay what i ordered and had to work 2 jobs to do so. Its about pride. I dont care if I have to shovel S**t in ditches, I will pay for what i purchased.
Im sure most wont like this response, I have been in this guys position....
I paid my bills.... Not because I wanted to, because I will not screw someone else do to my misfortune.
Sorry if I offended anyone with this post.

CanuckSigns

I know this sounds harsh
Should you Care?
Does your suppliers care if you dont pay your bills due to hard times?
Does the Electric company care if you dont pay your bill due to hard times?
Does the bank care if you dont pay your mortgage due to hard times?
Does this customer care that you had to chase them down for money and wait all this time to get yours?
The answer is NO!
Business is business and should always be. My 1st business went through tough times years ago. I figured out ways to pay what i ordered and had to work 2 jobs to do so. Its about pride. I dont care if I have to shovel S**t in ditches, I will pay for what i purchased.
Im sure most wont like this response, I have been in this guys position....
I paid my bills.... Not because I wanted to, because I will not screw someone else do to my misfortune.
Sorry if I offended anyone with this post.

How is that offensive? I think everyone here is thinking along the same lines as you! :goodpost:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I wouldn't feel bad for anyone who tries half the b.s. they try with checks. Had one the other day try to tell me my check machine was wrong in declining his check and that I should take it anyways even though it kept being shot out of my machine as "DECLINED" ... Told him that if he wants to try a debit or credit card I would be more than happy to run it through ... he just walked out. ... Sorry, not my problem if you can't pay for what you want.

Pat Whatley

So, if you deposit a bad check of someones into your account, you get charged for his Insufficient Funds?

No...but if a customer writes me a check for $1000 and I deposit it, then turn around and write checks to 10 different people expecting that $1000 to be in the bank to cover my checks. When the customers check bounced my bank took the $1000 out of my account meaning each check I'd written bounced when it hit my bank. I was charged $35 for each one of my checks that was returned (until friends at the bank took care of it for me)

busypc

I, too, have received a hot check from a very well known business in our city. Took 3 weeks to get it straightened out. He said "the money is there". His bank would not clear the check. If i have any "bad" feeling about a deposit check (always, always get a deposit), call the bank and verify the funds. Just takes a minute. The guy that wrote me the hot check ($1800) owes everyone in town. We know a judge here and he said that people who he owed money to would just have to "get in line". I recovered my $$, but i know another vendor here (computer guy) who he owes $900 to. He's just out of luck. That kind of stuff catches up with people. Now if i do work for them, it's cash up front.

weaselboogie

The funniest about this is that he's angry with YOU and called you up screaming that you actually processed his card. I'm forever amazed at people that are angry at others for their own mistakes.

CheapVehicleWrap

Wait for the next HOT 3 day weekend and have calls placed to temporally disconnect his water and power at his house. Leave the cable alone it's worthless without the power. Only kidding, I wouldn't really do this again.

LoneRanger01

Here is a good cure for people who write bad checks. Most every state or town I have lived in has a law called Theft of Services. It is a felony. Just have the dead beat arrested for theft of services and let the courts collect your monies. It works every time.
I once had a fool arrested for a bounced 2.80 check. He ended up paying 150.00 in court costs, 200.00 in fines, and oh yeah, he had to pay me 2.80 for the bounced check and 15.00 for the check charge, and he was put on probation for six months all for just 2.80. Sure I was an A hole for having him arrested for 2.80 but I earned that money and I'll be damned if I'm going to let anyone cheat me out of it.

LoneRanger01

Here is a peice of advise a lawyer once gave me. When reporting a crime like bounced checks, it is how and what you say to the police that matters. If you tell the police "the LoneRanger gave me a bad check" they will just wait untill there are alot of complaints before they do any thing.
If you say "the LoneRanger bought a sign from me and gave me a bad check" that is just theft by deception, nothing to serious. But you take that same check and say "the LoneRanger hired me to design and make a sign for him and paid me with a bad check" well that is theft of services and for what ever reason the courts find that to be a very serious crime. And they will probably knock you down trying to get to the LoneRanger.
While the Marine Corps taught me most of my core values my pareants did teach me never to cheat anyone but more importantly never let anyone cheat me.

VitalSignsInc

My old man one time had a construction co that kept all their tools in a storage shed after months of trying to get paid they came to get their tools and we had parked mulitple vehicles against the garage door.. WE GOT PAYED =]

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here is a peice of advise a lawyer once gave me. When reporting a crime like bounced checks, it is how and what you say to the police that matters. If you tell the police "the LoneRanger gave me a bad check" they will just wait untill there are alot of complaints before they do any thing.
If you say "the LoneRanger bought a sign from me and gave me a bad check" that is just theft by deception, nothing to serious. But you take that same check and say "the LoneRanger hired me to design and make a sign for him and paid me with a bad check" well that is theft of services and for what ever reason the courts find that to be a very serious crime. And they will probably knock you down trying to get to the LoneRanger.
While the Marine Corps taught me most of my core values my pareants did teach me never to cheat anyone but more importantly never let anyone cheat me.

Hi-Yo, Silver!! Away!!

Come Tonto. You and Kemo Sabe have evil to fight !!