• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Amd?

Joe Diaz

I'm getting a new system here shortly. The tech guy here said we could try going with AMD instead of Intel. The last time I had an AMD system was about 7 years ago. So Techies??? are they good processors? They seem to cost less in side by side comparisons.

:help

Joe Diaz

Isn't this thread from 2 months ago?? That chart says it all.
I did a search and didn't see one from 2 months ago that answered my question, and figuring how technology changes pretty quickly, I thought I'd ask today. I know that their are faster intels out there but alot of those faster intels are also not within my budget. My question was, does AMD make a quality product? Does anyone have issues with theirs? I have a system with one at home from 2001 and it still runs good, but has the quality of this brand diminished since then.

thanks,

sarge

as i see it you will find those people who will say amd is the best and others will say intel .. i have 5 computers in my shop .. some kinda old .. a couple real new .. 3 of them i built myself .. i personally think the amd's are more reliable .. the weak link i think is software .. so my rule of thumb is this .. look at the cpu and mainboard performance graph .. where the price falls sharply it is just at the bottom where i buy .. normally the difference is 4-5 months and minimul clock speed difference .. also i would look at hdd speed and ram speed .. you could have the best mother (main) board and cpu but if your ram and hdd are boat anchors then that is where your performance will be .. i spend my money in HDD, RAM, Video then i worry about the cpu and motherboard .. and remember, dont buy 1 hdd get 2 .. easier for backups and file storage .. i will not buy a motherboard that has built in video and audio

Rodi

So Joe,
you're not getting a MAC, they only have INTEL chips. (I can't help it!!)

AMD makes good stuff. Competition is good too for the chip industry.

SignsOfMaine

I've been tooling around with computers for a while as a tutor and a tech and I've found no difference in terms of day to day use. Picking one over the other isn't going to give you twice as many blue screens of death and illegal operations or anything. A system's 'stability' is 99.9 percent what you load it with, not the chipset.

That being said, intel is clearly on the leading edge in terms of speed. They are set to release the next generation of processors within the year, which will have the smallest process (circuitry) ever... which means more can be packed onto a single chip which means it can do more stuff + faster. AMD's like a year behind in their technology.

You buy intel if you can afford it, or if you're doing the kind of things where you are willing to pay to cut down on how long you wait for adobe [whatever] to load. If you're not doing much with a computer other than surfing and spreadsheets, then by all means go with AMD and save that dolla~

choucove

In most all the computer systems I've built through the past ten years, I've found hands down that the AMD systems ran not only more smoothly than the Intel systems I've worked with, but have also had a longer lifespan.

But, as stated above numerous times, technology changes fast today. Yes, today Intel offers the fastest processors available, but at a much higher premium cost than processors from AMD. In your normal day-to-day work you would not see a difference really in the speed performance in an Intel or AMD processor anyways, that really only shines in high performance gaming and the likes. To say you want to buy Intel just because you think it will run your applications faster is in many ways false: There are many factors that make things run faster or more smoothly, and a difference of a few Mhz on your processor will not be noticeable in much of anything. If you want your applications to load faster, you're better to buy faster hard drives and put them in a RAID 0, along with more memory.

For those interested, it is said that the newest AMD Phenom X4 II (45 nm fabrication) will be released for sale TODAY. These processors have had some early benchmarking that shows they are very capable and will be a real rival to Intel. However, that being said, these new processors really are designed for the best performance in the upcoming Socket AM3 motherboards, which should be released relatively soon such as March or April.

But just to give you a comparison, the lowest priced Intel quad-core processor (Core 2 Quad Q6600) is currently priced around $185.00, and the cheapest new Nehalem Core i7 processor is currently priced around $300.00, the flagship of AMD, the Phenom 9850 X4 processor is cheaper than the cheapest Intel at around $180.00.

And if you are really interested in the best deal, here is the newest AMD processor to market TODAY, a 45 nm processor with stock clock speeds of 3 Ghz quad core, at the same price as Intel's cheapest Core i7 with clock speeds of 2.66 Ghz.

To end my rant (I do apologize!) it all really does come down to personal preference. But there are many reasons why top-brand names from Dell to HP to Alienware all began configuring AMD systems using the Phenom processors in addition to Intel processors: It's the most cost-effective system possible. I've never really been upset with an AMD system that I've worked with. But then again, there are many others that will also swear by their Intel systems.