Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Americ font in PDF how to open?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Chuck Peterson, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Chuck Peterson

Chuck Peterson Member

Jul 12, 2006
    San Diego
    I got a PDF from a customer with what he calls an Americ font. Looks like different characters, I don't know how to describe. I need to open this in Omega or Illustrator and it shows as a bunch of boxes. I can see it in Microsoft Word in the correct characters. I have done this before, but can't recall how. It doesn't need to be editable text, just vector shapes.
    Anybody have an idea?
    Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Jay Grooms

Jay Grooms Printing, Printing, Printing......

Nov 20, 2018
    Burlington Wisconsin
    Convert the PDF to outlines and then open. It's because you don't have whatever font it is installed.

3. Chuck Peterson

Chuck Peterson Member

Jul 12, 2006
    San Diego
    I tried that but it just outlines a bunch of boxes with x's in them instead of what shows as Arabic (or Aramic?) in Word.
    It says the missing font is SegoeUIHistoric. I got the font but something'd still whacked out.

4. Chuck Peterson

Chuck Peterson Member

Jul 12, 2006
    San Diego
    A little more info - In Adobe Acrobat it looks correct. I wish I could convert to outlines, but Acrobat doesn't appear to have thet option. In Illustrator it doesnt help to convert to outlines, because it doesn't look correct.

5. Chuck Peterson

Chuck Peterson Member

Jul 12, 2006
    San Diego
    I did it. I found my old notes from last time. I saves the PDF as EPS in Acrobat. Now it opens as outlines in Illustrator and Omega.

Thanks.

6. Marie

Marie Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Try this - open a blank drawing board in Illustrator. File/place the PDF file. Then with the placed PDF selected, Object/flatten transparency. Make the settings: High resolution / 100 / Convert all text to outlines. I actually think that I learned this trick from a Signs101 post a long time ago.

• Like Like x 1