• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Americ font in PDF how to open?

Chuck Peterson

I got a PDF from a customer with what he calls an Americ font. Looks like different characters, I don't know how to describe. I need to open this in Omega or Illustrator and it shows as a bunch of boxes. I can see it in Microsoft Word in the correct characters. I have done this before, but can't recall how. It doesn't need to be editable text, just vector shapes.
Anybody have an idea?
Thanks.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
Convert the PDF to outlines and then open. It's because you don't have whatever font it is installed.

Chuck Peterson

I tried that but it just outlines a bunch of boxes with x's in them instead of what shows as Arabic (or Aramic?) in Word.
It says the missing font is SegoeUIHistoric. I got the font but something'd still whacked out.

Chuck Peterson

A little more info - In Adobe Acrobat it looks correct. I wish I could convert to outlines, but Acrobat doesn't appear to have thet option. In Illustrator it doesnt help to convert to outlines, because it doesn't look correct.

Chuck Peterson

I did it. I found my old notes from last time. I saves the PDF as EPS in Acrobat. Now it opens as outlines in Illustrator and Omega.

Thanks.

Marie

Try this - open a blank drawing board in Illustrator. File/place the PDF file. Then with the placed PDF selected, Object/flatten transparency. Make the settings: High resolution / 100 / Convert all text to outlines. I actually think that I learned this trick from a Signs101 post a long time ago.