Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ampersands

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by geb, Feb 14, 2004.

1. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    I was wondering if there is a difference between ampersands and the "&" symbol of the font you are using. Do you use Ampersands or the & symbol? Is there an advantage to using Ampersands? Maybe a dumb question, I just don't know much about them, thanks for any feedback.

George

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    To the best of my knowledge they're one & the same.

3. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    I thought so too- it's the little useful symbol that used to follow at the end of an alphabet, meaning 'and', and was named by recounting the whole alphabet, then "and, per-se 'and'", (which means a to z, and which follows the 'and' symbol), so "and per-se 'and'" became ampersand, and it began life looking like the conjoined latin word "et" which means 'and'.

That's my recollection anyhow.I'll stand corrected if someone nhs a better story! (& no it's not Mr Amper's 'and' either!)

4. geb

geb Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Adirondacks
    Thanks, always wondered what it stood for.

George

5. striper14

striper14 Member

May 23, 2003
    home alone
    wow, you learn something new every day.....and per-se "and".... why didn't i see that before:tongue: :tongue:
    very impressive

6. MAB SIGNS

MAB SIGNS Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Thats a good story Ian, and better than it being named after who created it. I'm still trying to find that Mr. Murphy to ask him about his law. hehe

Mark

7. bullseye000

bullseye000 Member

May 13, 2003
    That's partially true. The symbol itself "&" is a combination of the two letters of the latin word "et" which translates to "and", as in ora et labor or work and prayer.