• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

An interesting (positive) problem...

Custom_Grafx

So... I have a nice customer - who is insisting they pay extra for something to be done quicker than usual.

I haven't really had to charge extra for speed because I'm usually ok for my customers' deadlines. In this particular case, I was asked if I could do it quicker (willing to pay for), and I said, I'm happy to do it 1 day quicker for free, and if they needed it earlier than that, I would want extra. They said sure, how much extra?

I have confirmed I can make the deadline - but what do I charge extra on the initial quote? Is there an industry standard? 20%? 50%?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Be good and tell them you really are stumped and will only charge them 15% extra. If they feel like paying more, you'll gladly accept it.

Custom_Grafx

Thanks Gino,

I put on around 25%, they said OK, but I replied back and shaved $20 off and told them to shout themselves a nice lunch today.

Win/Win I hope.

Cheers!

Locals Find!

You really should have a standard rush charge worked out in advance. This is one time I am going to have to *gag* agree with Gino.

Most companies charge me a standard 25% rush charge. The rush is based on their discretion of time line and has to be pre-approved in advance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You really should have a standard rush charge worked out in advance. This is one time I am going to have to *gag* agree with Gino.

Most companies charge me a standard 25% rush charge. The rush is based on their discretion of time line and has to be pre-approved in advance.

Don't use my name. It's copyrighted and unless you wanna pay royalties to use it in a sentence..... you'll be sorry. Just stop it. Aaaaand, don't ever agree with me again. You know that's against the rules. :noway:

Frickin' lughead

Custom_Grafx

Thanks Addy, I think in your situation where you outsource, you have more of a need to standardise your 'rush' fees.

Being a manufacturer/printer here, I don't really want to be a ***** and charge rush fees everytime someone needs something quick, because honestly... everyone wants everything quick around here... it's pretty normal.

Locals Find!

I wasn't talking about what I charge. I am talking about what I "get" charged by shops who sell to me. I just pass on those cost in that case.

Rush Fees are pretty standard and are always a discretionary thing. Its good just to have a standard in place that you can chose to use or ignore as you see fit but, covers give you a little extra play if you gotta bump someone else's job outta the way. Gives you a bit of extra to give them some consideration if they start whining about getting bumped.

Smacka

I have a customer who does this to me on a regular basis. They are by far my best client. Literally on the verge of begging (no joke). My response to them is, NEVER A PROBLEM FOR YOU! This type of customer is rare indeed and when you have a client like that, you do all you can to cultivate the relationship. I have had them for over 5 years now. Bottom line is, do what you can to please the customer and what might seem like a rush to them may not really be a rush for you. So be honest with them and tell them you appreciate the offer!