• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ANA Plot V3.4 on XP, USB, with AE-60E

RollinsPrinting

Ladies and/or Gentlemen. I am having a terrible time with a mystery configuration. Our good 'ol Win98 machine died, which was running our ANA Express 60E plotter. We purchased a serial to USB adapter, and I was able to trial and error my way to plotting again with our XP PC. The problem I have is that every time I restart, shut down, disconnect anything, I have the same trial and error experience, and this week, I have been unable to connect to the plotter and plot. Win XP, SP2 connected to usb/Serial adapter, to Plotter. Running ANAPlot V3.4. Set to COM2, 9600, None, 8, 1, Hardware. The error I usually get is "No Communication from plotter.", however I have connected and plotted a few things over the last few weeks. I've changed COM ports, plotter settings, and every time I document what my settings are, they don't work the next time. I'm starting to think ambient temperature or moon phases are to blame. Any tips beyond "upgrade", which I know we need to do? I'm just trying to hobble along in the mean time. Thanks in advance...Alex

RollinsPrinting

High Speed USB/Serial

Thanks for the speedy reply.

The one I have says data transfer rate up to 500Kbps. I see the Keyspan one mentioned elsewhere on the boards claims 230Kbps, so hopefully mine is ok.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/

I was thinking of finding another device from our archives to try with that same USB cable. I've had frustrating trial and error sessions before that all came down to a bad cable/cables.

Any other things to double check? Anyone have a similar setup? What's your combination that works?

bigfish

usb

Ladies and/or Gentlemen. I am having a terrible time with a mystery configuration. Our good 'ol Win98 machine died, which was running our ANA Express 60E plotter. We purchased a serial to USB adapter, and I was able to trial and error my way to plotting again with our XP PC. The problem I have is that every time I restart, shut down, disconnect anything, I have the same trial and error experience, and this week, I have been unable to connect to the plotter and plot. Win XP, SP2 connected to usb/Serial adapter, to Plotter. Running ANAPlot V3.4. Set to COM2, 9600, None, 8, 1, Hardware. The error I usually get is "No Communication from plotter.", however I have connected and plotted a few things over the last few weeks. I've changed COM ports, plotter settings, and every time I document what my settings are, they don't work the next time. I'm starting to think ambient temperature or moon phases are to blame. Any tips beyond "upgrade", which I know we need to do? I'm just trying to hobble along in the mean time. Thanks in advance...Alex

what make serial to usb do you have? best one is from radio shack, I have been using it for a yeay now with XP...no problems.
Simple to install, and it will pick a comm port with no settings.
Or, does your plotter have an LPT1 port?
advise,
Gordon

RollinsPrinting

USB to SERIAL

Ours is Dynex, from Best Buy. Mostly because it was available the day we needed it, or thought we needed it.

I stopped by Radio Shack to check out their selection, and they definitely seem better made. Which one to you have, exactly? Our plotter goes from a DB25 pin to a DB9 pin to our adapter. I'm thinking we should get the Radio Shack DB25 pin to USB direct, just to cut down on the bad cable possibilities.

-Alex