• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

And still yet another one....................

Jillbeans

I had a gal call me about a sign. I told her to call her zoning officer to find out what size/type etc she's allowed to have.
Ok done and done. She calls back the next day.
I ask her "do you have a logo?"
She says "yes it's a picture I got off the Internet years ago"
I asked her if she had permission to use it, she said she does not remember.
I told her I could re-do her logo for X amount and the sign would be X amount.
So later that day I get an email:
we talked early about you make a sign for me. I was woundering if you could give the websites that you use
for pictures to put on signs. I would like to view those pictures also.
:)
I replied and told her that I draw my pictures by hand.
Love....Jill

garyroy

2 to Blame

Gino,
To me, the blames goes 80/20 between you and him.

80% you.
1. In this day of camera phones, digital cameras, camcorders, emails, and quick moving automobiles, you did not seem to indicate if you requested a digital picture of the sign (which probably would have solved most of the problems right there) and which could have been emailed to you, or told the customer you would have to do a drive by (in your quick moving automobile) to take a look before you gave him a quote (you said it was relatively close to where you live).

20% him
2. His part of the blame is in not knowing how to estimate the size of sign from the standpoint of being on the ground. Foolish him!

Our natural inclination is to always call the customer a turd, but sometimes we are at fault. Just my opinion of course.:smile:

Gary

Gino

Premium Subscriber
gary, you are indeed a buffoon. You've been hanging around here for 5 years, although this is only your second post. You sure are credible. I'm not name calling or condescending..... just stating fact, but you aren't working with a full deck.

The guy did send a picture and it was completely unusable to figure any sizes out. This was right before I quoted him on an electric face scenario. That's when I realized it was a backlit, but still couldn't find a common thread to figure out sizes. Going by his place only reinforced that it was a 'WORKING' backlit, cause as I mentioned , it was on. I gave him an option of sheet goods and backlit. Wasn't pertinent to the conversation at all. Perhaps for you it was a needed piece to this mysterious puzzle.
2x16.jpg
No one said I didn't have a quick moving automobile. I said I did it on my way into work that it wasn't far from where I live. It's called a courtesy move on my part.

Using your calculations and method of arriving at conclusions, I'd say you're about 90% nuts and 10% just out there.​

The whole nature of these threads have been to have people read and discuss their silly sales, requests or customers that come and go through their doors and you just shake your head when they leave. Kinda like a stress reliever or a place to let off steam in a fun manner. This is not some sort of model in which to base your business on for fact finding. It's just how some turds come natural and some come in swinging and flinging their arms over nothing. :doh:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Where's L town ??

You the last exit before you go into New Jersey ?? Levittown, PA ?? That isn't far from me at all.

SD&F

I have customers take pictures of projects regularly and I in no way will quote a job based solely on that. I can measure based on the surface such as.....bricks, wood planks, etc, but that would be a foolish thing to do on my part. Me thinks that customers usually need to be educated, especially the ones that want something for nothing.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Gino's just fooling with you guys, he could have easily figured out the sign dimensions from that photo.
If you look closely you can see the service drop line in the upper right.
Being a sign pro he would know the electrical code for that region and would therefor know the diameter of that visible wire. Using that he could have enlarged the photo to the correct line size and taken the raw measurements of the sign face.
From there he would have opened up the EXIF data on the supplied photo - taken the relevant data (Lens, focal length, ISO, F-stop, time, GPS location etc.) and used that to refine his raw measurements down to within a few millimeters of the actual size.

wayne k
guam usa