• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Another font question...

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I need to use a font called "Cachet" . I can find it on font websites BUT, they want $50 for EACH style.
There are 16 different styles! I may only need 3 or 4 but its still a lot for ONE font.
i.e. Bold, Italic, Light, ect.

So my question is. Is it normal to spend $200 or more for a single font?
I know that I could buy the standard font and manipulate it from there but it never seems quite the same when you add outlines or a slant to a font vs using the bold or italic versions.

I've looked on letterheads but they don't have anything like it that I could find. :(

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's going to vary with the font and the foundry. In this case it appears that Monotype has expanded it from one original version to sixteen versions and no other foundry has produced a clone of it. Although the price for a single version is $49, one can buy the complete set for $299 (18.69 per version).

I would simply advise your client that a one time fee for font acquisition of $xx.xx will apply and then supply the client with the fonts when you deliver the job. The client then has the choice of paying for them or switching to something else.

I did a clone search in Find My Font and there are no alternate versions from anywhere else.

shoresigns

I need to use a font called "Cachet" . I can find it on font websites BUT, they want $50 for EACH style.
There are 16 different styles! I may only need 3 or 4 but its still a lot for ONE font.
i.e. Bold, Italic, Light, ect.

So my question is. Is it normal to spend $200 or more for a single font?
I know that I could buy the standard font and manipulate it from there but it never seems quite the same when you add outlines or a slant to a font vs using the bold or italic versions.

I've looked on letterheads but they don't have anything like it that I could find. :(
$50 per style is pretty common for a good quality typeface. The amount of craftsmanship and time that goes into designing a typeface is immense. Typefaces that consist of several different weights plus italics can take years to develop.

You might want to consider the Monotype Library Subscription which is $10 monthly and gives you access to Cachet and thousands of other fonts by Monotype, Bitstream, ITC, Linotype, etc.