• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Gerber EDGE2 Problem: Overheating

designsandsigns

I've done a Google search on this problem, and came up absolutely empty.

Our EDGE2 very often has a problem with foil sticking to the vinyl, and either it prints where it shouldn't, or it actually pulls the vinyl off the sprockets.

This happens most predictibly when we have an overprint or primer. But we avoid those now, and it still happens. When we turn the heat all the way down, it happens less often, but it still happens.

Most of the time, this problem occurs with white and clear vinyls, though it has happened on others. The foils most effected are CMYK, Beige, Ruby Red, White, Silver and Gold. Like the vinyl, it's been known to happen with other colors, and it doesn't seem to matter if we use genuine Gerber, or Zero-Nine.
It also doesn't matter if it's deep into a long job, or right in the first two inches. It happens anywhere, whenver it wants.

The EDGE2 is now several years old, but this has been a recurring problem for years (no rhyme or reason, sometimes it works fine). We're using the latest 2.61 OMEGA software, but have stayed current since v. 3 of GA. And no, it's not hot in the office: 75 degrees.

Any help? Thanks very much.

James L. Greenlee
DESIGNS AND SIGNS of Las Vegas

designsandsigns

Am I the only person who's had this problem? I seem to remember similar problems (especially with CMYK) back when we had the old EDGE 1. Anybody? Beuller?

designsandsigns

Baseball bats and substitutions

:Big Laugh

Yes, the ball bat option has been considered. Especially after the gas springs lost their oomph, and the lid slammed on both of my hands!

The gas springs issue was one that I managed to solve on my own. The heat thingy not so much.

Yes, we've tried foil and vinyl substitutions to no avail. Today, the machine is pulling the vinyl off the sprockets in the first few microns of the white-on-clear image I'm trying to print. >sigh< It's driving me nuts.

ChicagoGraphics

Maybe it's time to replace it, and buy other Edge thats overly priced for the size of it. At least the new ones you just drop the casette in.

gnemmas

In my experience, the foil is a lot thinner than vinyl, only the foil will tear apart, and sticking to vinyl, never the other way around. Could it be the vinyl hold-down problem?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
don't have an edge2, just an edge here, but does your edge2 have two plastic pieces that are attached to the piece that clamps down on the vinyl and holds it in place? we've had that problem. the piece actually folded up...take a look at all the parts that come in contact with the vinyl and make sure they're in there right

designsandsigns

Problem is so bad now, we cannot print white

:help:This doesn't seem to be a vinyl hold-down problem. It happens chiefly with white foil, and for the first time did it on matte black vinyl, which is a first. We even tried telling the plot spooler we were using black foil. The same thing happens. It doesn't even get past the first millimeter or two, sticks tight to the vinyl, and pulls the vinyl off the sprockets. Usually melts through the foil too.

Maybe a better question is this: Does anybody fix EDGE2s? I mean without crating the thing and sending it back to Connecticut? Thanks!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
have you ever tried contacting gerber tech? if your gerber distributor has tech support, they can usually get the info from gerber tech without making you foot the bill....that's the arrangement we have...

Marlene

Are you using Gerber foils and Gerber vinyl or something else? The reason I ask is the hole punch pattern of Gerber's may not match up to the hole punch patterns of other vinyl brands as Gerber has a patent on it so they are the only ones who can use it. If the other brand isn't exact, it won't stay on the sprokets. If you are using Gerber stuff, it will probably cost you less to give tech support a call to see what they think the problem is. I've had foil not sticking to clear vinyl problems but it turned out to be a setting issue.

designsandsigns

Yeah, it seems to be a unique problem!

I thank everyone for their ideas. It is amazing, however, that whenever we have some sort of problem with our equipment, the problem seems to be unique. Whenever the responses start out, "have you tried. . ?", I pretty much figure there IS no answer, or that the problem hasn't come up with other people.

I'm hoping that one day, we have a problem, I look for an answer, and I find, "Oh, yes. I know exactly what the problem is. And I know how to fix it! Do this. . ."

A boy can dream!

I think we're going to see if somebody can fix it for us. Hopefully won't have to crate it up and send it away to be fixed. Thanks again everybody.

JRgraphics

Sticking Issue

This problem can happen when the pressure to the printing head is too high. Have you tried the calibrate pressure adjustment? You can adjust the printing head pressure softer or harder thru setup. Once the adjustment is made it will stay in memory. Adjust the calibration a little at a time (up or down 5-10 numbers) and test. Your problem sounds like it needs to be -5 to -10 points. Try this and let me know.:signs101: JR.

GB2

Old Member
You definately have a unique problem...call Gerber Tech support....that is the only answer here and actually...that isn't a bad answer, I find them to be very helpful and considerate whenever I've had to speak with them.

designsandsigns

JRGraphics is the winner! It worked! I've "oopsed" into the Setup menu before, but I've never adjusted anything. I took the Pressure Calibration down to -10, and viola! No more sticking, no more bleeding!

I was careful to write down the original settings in case we do further adjustment, and need to put it back. Thanks, JR!

By the way, yeah, Gerber support is great at returning my calls, but they always start with kindergarten questions that just annoy me. "OK, is the machine on? Good. Now, is your computer connected to the EDGE? Good. OK, now what were you trying to do? Well, why would you need to do that?. . ." And on and on.

JR was MUCH better! Thanks again.

signage

Designsandsigns glad yo got it fixed and also happy that you posted the corrective action for future people looking for this info!