• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another InDesign question

CES020

Had a customer supply me with an InDesign file and it's got me baffled. It's a layout with shapes and colors, etc., and then text. I can click on the text and delete it or move it fine. However, the shapes, I cannot click on or move. It's as if they are locked, but I'll be darned if I can find what's got them locked. In the locked dialog, it's grayed out.

I've looked at every menu, every option I can think of and I'm just stumped.

Any idea on what's causing them to be locked and how to unlock them (knowing that they might not be locked, it might be some other feature).

Thanks-

CES020

I sure did. Only one layer and it's not locked or invisible.

Darnedest thing I ever saw.

It's not complicated artwork, I can recreate it in Illy if I need to (which I will do shortly), but I'm just curious now, and it's becoming personal :)

I did see something that had an eps file name on it somewhere. Made me think the shapes were an embedded type eps file of some sort. I don't use the program, so I wasn't sure how to get that shape to the front and editable.

GypsyGraphics

The elements are most likely on a master page, so unless you're on the master page you won't be able to do anything to it. Oh, wait... not true... you can select the object while holding down the shift key to override the master. But usually better to edit the master.*

Are you familiar with master pages? If not, they are the page icons you see at the top of your page pallet. If still named with default, they'll be named:

(None)
A - Master
B - Master

One of those will correspond with each page in your palette.

Just double click the icon to access the master pages and when your done editing there, double click the page icon to get back to your working page.

* Edit the master for global change throughout entire multi-page document. Opting to "override" will remove the link to the master, for just that specific element, text or graphic.

FYI: I LIVE BY MASTER PAGES!!!

Last edited:

CES020

Yup, that was it! Master pages! Who knew? It's all new to me, so I learned something from you all. I have an application coming up soon that I kept saying "this is the perfect job for InDesign" and Master pages will let me do even more than I was planning on doing, so thanks!