• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another MDO sign question

S

scarface

Well i have another job needing a outdoor sign.

I will use RTG MDO 2 sided so it's "ready to go" when it arrives.

Now i know your supposed to fill the edges with filler then paint them but why is it called RTG if the edges still need tending to?

The edges are white already from the supplier because it's a 4x8' sheet. Would just putting paint on the edges like this be ok or do you need to fill and paint it?

Thanks!

Gordy Saunders

Look at the edges when you get it. You will most likely see little gaps or holes between the plys. These need to be filled to keep the moisture out.
The edges are the weakest part of the board. If you want it to last you should tend to them by giving them a coat of enamel, maybe even two coats. Only the face is ready to go.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Look at the edges when you get it. You will most likely see little gaps or holes between the plys. These need to be filled to keep the moisture out.
The edges are the weakest part of the board. If you want it to last you should tend to them by giving them a coat of enamel, maybe even two coats. Only the face is ready to go.

And I also take my hand held router and run around the edge with a 1/8" roundover bit. That takes the sharp edge off the corner, and allows the paint to conform over and it won't fail as quickly.

S

scarface

Thanks, Now I've used elmers wood filler before with paint but it says apply a water based paint to it after sanding. Will acrylic latex exterior paint work? I'm pretty sure that latex paint is water based...

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No. Acrylic paint will not work.

The board is already painted with an oil based paint and you cannot put latex over enamel, without having total failure within a year oe so.

It's called RTG, because they have the same mindset that the majority of people in this industry also have..... a quick fix for everything. They believe in obsolescense. The quicker your job fails the sooner someone else will buy something to replace it. Most people are too lazy to do it the right way and look for these easy 'Outs'.

S

scarface

But its going on the sanded and wood fillered edges only, still no?

Jillbeans

I usually always repaint the entire RTG because that finish doesn't last too long.
I sand the edges, fill the voids with a mix of sawdust and TiteBond2, sand them, then seal the edges with two coats of TiteBond. Then sand and prime, then paint with lettering enamel. I use Foamies.
Ready to go for someone may not be my version of ready to go.
Love....Jill

Malkin

Jill that is also how I was taught to do it from an old timer who made his living making signs along the Maine coast.. We charge more for that kind of sign than for 10mm alite

I know some people produce cheapie signs using MDO and I have to assume that they don't do any of that.

artsnletters

all of the above prep work is real true. I too learned from a master how to prep the MDO sheets, they USED last real good too...back when Bulletin & lettering Enamels would cover and last 10 years. Nowadays i wimp out and use Alumalite (or similar product) as a substitute. I pass the cost on to the customer....less work too....
Tim

Telltale Signs

I am making a MDO cut out shape sign and sanded/epoxied the edges. We primed the edges with exterior alklyd oil-based primer, and then primed the whole sign as long as we were doing the edges (even though it came pre-primed 2 sides). Here is the problem (hope it's OK to post in this thread -- it is related) -- but now the primer blushed. Do I have to sand it off? any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Deb

washingtonsignguy

I like to use the T moulding on most my MDO signs. If its a temp sign I might just run the router over the edge to round the edges, fill and paint it up. But the T moulding gets to be pretty easy and isnt that expensive. Groove it, prime it then put a bead of caulk on the edge before applying the moulding. Now if water gets in that within 5 years i will be shocked. My customers always like how the edges look on the finished product also. Outwater Products is where i get my t moulding