• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another N00b question for anceint equipment

mvanweer

Ok, I've been lurking around for quite a while, mulling over the idea of offering in house wide format to my customers. I have a print/copy/graphics shop on the central coast of California that's been in biz for 25 years. I already offer wide format and signs to my client base, but it's all subbed out. I received an HP 3500cp for free, along with some photo papers and extra dye inks. I have UV inks, but I'm having trouble finding any info on what type of materials this thing can handle. I am also looking a decent RIP to handle the files/ color calibration. I know that this relic has on board RIP, but it crawls. My thinking is I can offer in house indoor posters, banners, and temp paper stuff. I also believe that I can offer outdoor banners with the UV inks and liquid lam. I'm looking at the daige EZ Glide, cause I know spraying or painting the crap on is messy and gives mixed results. Am I off base, or can this dinosaur handle it?
I know I should bite the bullet and get a Mimaki/Roland/Mutoh/New HP etc., but I already have vendors that offer the big time stuff. This system is for easier in house stuff. If this does prove profitable, I MIGHT consider getting the updated equipment (solvent/eco-solvent), cold lam, etc.
Well, thanks in advance for any advice you can give,
Matt

mvanweer

Maybe I should rephrase my question...
How about some advise on media / ink suppliers that I could contact to gain knowledge about aqueous inks/media/laminates? I have seen Fellers and sign warehouse mentioned throughout the board, and I currently buy inks and paper for my smaller epson photo printer (13X19 max) from Atlantic Exchange. Atlantic Exchange offers ink for the 3500cp for what looks like decent prices