Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another N00b question for anceint equipment

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mvanweer, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mvanweer

mvanweer Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Ok, I've been lurking around for quite a while, mulling over the idea of offering in house wide format to my customers. I have a print/copy/graphics shop on the central coast of California that's been in biz for 25 years. I already offer wide format and signs to my client base, but it's all subbed out. I received an HP 3500cp for free, along with some photo papers and extra dye inks. I have UV inks, but I'm having trouble finding any info on what type of materials this thing can handle. I am also looking a decent RIP to handle the files/ color calibration. I know that this relic has on board RIP, but it crawls. My thinking is I can offer in house indoor posters, banners, and temp paper stuff. I also believe that I can offer outdoor banners with the UV inks and liquid lam. I'm looking at the daige EZ Glide, cause I know spraying or painting the crap on is messy and gives mixed results. Am I off base, or can this dinosaur handle it?
    I know I should bite the bullet and get a Mimaki/Roland/Mutoh/New HP etc., but I already have vendors that offer the big time stuff. This system is for easier in house stuff. If this does prove profitable, I MIGHT consider getting the updated equipment (solvent/eco-solvent), cold lam, etc.
    Well, thanks in advance for any advice you can give,
    Matt

Tags:
  2. DOGraphics

DOGraphics Very Active Member

Aug 9, 2007
    :Welcome: 2 :signs101:

3. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Good luck.

4. mvanweer

mvanweer Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Maybe I should rephrase my question...
    How about some advise on media / ink suppliers that I could contact to gain knowledge about aqueous inks/media/laminates? I have seen Fellers and sign warehouse mentioned throughout the board, and I currently buy inks and paper for my smaller epson photo printer (13X19 max) from Atlantic Exchange. Atlantic Exchange offers ink for the 3500cp for what looks like decent prices

5. wildhock

wildhock Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome to the group!