• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another new member!

kbarker

Greetings other members!

I am definately a newbie to the sign industry; however, with a background in accounting, I am not a newbie when it comes to business plans, business models, or bookkeeping systems like Quickbooks or Peachtree. Also, I was self-employed for 10 years in the carpet cleaning business, so I really have a great deal of personal experiences in the ups and downs (mostly down) of being self-employed. So, if anyone has any questions about these particular subjects I would be happy to address them.

I'm joining this forum because I really want to "get into the sign making business", particularly magnetic car signs, yard signs, sidewalk signs, and banners. I already have what I think is a solid plan for generating business. My only problem right now is buying the right equipment for producing the aforementioned products with a cost/benefit approach ( I really don't want to spend $10,000 just to make little signs/nor do I want to spend as little as $1,000 just to make a crappy looking little sign). I've been searching the internet for some answers, but the wide range of products and prices have pretty much done me in, as I'm sure any newbie can attest to. So, with this in mind, I'm joining this forum with the hopes that an experienced sign maker can point me in the right direction.

That's my story,

Kelley

Mosh

Welcome. Why not design the signs and sub out the printing until you have the $25K you will need for the bare bones amount of equipment. $10k won't get you much.

Mikeifg

Do you have any design skills? That would be your major priority before equipment. Can I design,etc... Have you even researched this yet. Outsource will be your best bet. What made you want to get into this in the first place? If it's not a passion for the art or anything in this industry I would look somewhere else. If your in it for the money then good luck. The best business plan in the world will fail you if you don't have the skills to be in this.

kbarker

Hello Mosh,

I did think about that but it doesn't fit with what I plan to produce. For instance, if I was selling high end print jobs for high end customers that required a high end printer, that would be a good option; however, yard signs and car magnets seem to be on the low end of the spectrum and are pretty much a commodity type product, being able to be produced by most anybody with almost any kind of epuipment.

Thanks for your response.

Kelley

Jillbeans

being able to be produced by most anybody with almost any kind of epuipment.
Equipment will only get you so far.
Just wanting to puke out cheap signs will not make you any money.
Talent is also a huge factor. A well-designed sign can bring in good money, especially if made with quality materials.
Knowing what to charge is also very important.
Unfortunately, everybody and their brother thinks that the sign business is the way to go, and have saturated our market and dumbed down our industry.
Mosh is right about wholesaling out to people who already own the big toys and need to keep them running.
You'd do better off cleaning carpets, at least there is not a glut of people with a get rich carpet cleaning scheme.

kbarker

Hello Jill,

Car magnets and yard signs...how big a toy does one need to produce these things? I'm looking for a price point for equipment so that I don't over pay for something I don't need. I'm really looking for the best equipment, at the best price,to make the best car magnets, yard signs, and maybe banners.

Thanks for helping me clarify my conumdrum.

Kelley

kbarker

Hello there in Skokie,

I just had to say that I was born in Havana, Illinois, just outside of Peoria...I think;
But grew up in New England.

Kelley

agree with jill, find a cheap vinyl plotter, thats all the equipment you need (short of a computer and some kind of design software)

a good width is 24in
thats a standard size for yard signs, buying vinyl, and applying 24in masking tape...you will have trouble applying any size larger than that without equipment or experience...

but its not a get rich quick scheme unless you have at least 2 of the following
1. you Know people!
2. you can win people with your designs
3. you have free/cheap (family) labor
4. you have a -cute- secretary or sales girl

oh and Welcome!

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 and people.

Equipment... American brand like Roland or Graftec ..not even sure I spelled that right.
24"
Software is needed... Coreldraw X5 or AdobeCS4 .. you might need a cut software with the Graftec or the Adobe CS4 not sure.
Another option http://www.Signwarehouse.com they have cutter and software combos.
it is best to get one that can cut tiny letters.

Excuse for the general info after 36 years hand painting signs..my cutter is a Chinese cheapo from Signwarehouse but works well enough since I do very little cut vinyl but would liked to get a way better cutter like the Graftec and way better software like the Coreldraw X5

If you are serious about this which you will soon find out soon enough, even car mags, yard & banners etc.
You will need good design skills start off by buying a book ...Mike Steven Mastering Layout .......PLEASE READ

Many of us went to school, or have a natural developed talent or really took serious interest and learned some how. so you will get flack most likely till you find your calling and go at it serious.

Wish you luck and will help if I can just ask.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Design is where is all starts just like Mikiefg said. From there you can outsource until you find out what your niche is. I started as a broker, selling signs I designed but didn't make. That led us to our production floor we have now.

You're right about yard signs, vehicle magnets etc. being a commodity. The only thing that truly separates you is your service, including sales and design. However you get it produced won't make a difference in the end, unless of course you have no desire to separate yourself from the competition.

Between us, Signs365 and a dozen other GREAT vendors on this site, you can get started for well under 10k and maybe turn a profit your first year, instead of spreading out your deductions over several years of mediocre income.

I have one thing that can help prove my point here - we can print an 18x24" Yard sign with 30" stand, at 100pcs, for under $2 each. Call whoever you plan or purchasing your materials from, add in minimum wage for your labor, buy the cheapest inks and vinyl and tell me if you can actually produce the same product for the price. You won't be able to.

Not to mention the fact that you could make $150 on that order, and do it 10 times a day without hiring an employee, buying equipment or renting shop space. How many could you actually make on your own in a day?

Outsourcing doesn't part you with your profit, it puts it in your pocket.