• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another realtor story.

Colin

About 7 weeks ago I was called by a realtor’s office and asked to produce a couple of decals for a particular strata. They are digitally printed using particular colors on removable vinyl, to go on 2 signs they have on site, simply denoting the real estate company logo, realtor & phone number. The strata doesn’t want any gaudy real estate signs.

I made the decals, and they sat for a few weeks. I called and emailed and got foggy replies. A few more weeks roll by, so I directly email the two realtors involved. No reply whatsoever. So this morning I phone the office and spoke to the gal who ordered them. She said: “Oh, we sold that unit 2 weeks ago, didn’t you get my message?” I said that no, I didn’t get her message, but even if I did, that would not change the fact that these were ordered and produced.

She really felt that they could just say “Uh, we don’t need ‘em now – thanks anyways.” WTF!? I said that the order was placed and fulfilled, and that the bill is owing. Emailed it to her (again).

And they wonder why realtors have a bad reputation.

Locals Find!

I am not sure how it works in Canada but here if they are actual REALTORS versus just real estate agents you can file a complaint/grievance down at the Local Board of Realtors. That usually will get there attention pretty good there are procedures for handling crap like that in place.

Edit: One other option is to call the Broker for the Office. They usually won't tolerate that kinda stuff from their agents as it tarnishes their reputation.

BargainSigns

I've been stuck by politicians, reators and Churches way too often. That's why we get 50% down on every order now. No proofs even, without a deposit. We had a room full of signs that were never picked up. If their serious, they'll leave a deposit! Sucks though...

royster13

I've been stuck by politicians, reators and Churches way too often. That's why we get 50% down on every order now. No proofs even, without a deposit. We had a room full of signs that were never picked up. If their serious, they'll leave a deposit! Sucks though...

But are you making more money?....

Locals Find!

With Real Estate its always 100% down 100% of the time. Never anything else unless you know them really really really well and even then only 10% of the time. I make my own Mother Prepay me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With Real Estate its always 100% down 100% of the time. Never anything else unless you know them really really really well and even then only 10% of the time. I make my own Mother Prepay me.

:ROFLMAO: Now why does that not surprise me......... ?? :Big Laugh

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin did you have a prior business relationship with that office?
I slip up now and then and do something without getting a deposit but not to often with someone I have not worked with before.

wayne k
guam usa

threeputt

I have two dear friends that are agents (not Realtors)

They are the nicest people. And classy too.

But I know what you mean about certain brokers. They can be very flaky. Right now we have (2) 4'x8's sitting here for a development project that never got off the ground, due to the economy or funding, I guess. Fortunately the signs are paid for.

But I'm getting tired of looking at them (and storing them) since they've been here about 9 months.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, that sorta thing just happened to us this past summer/early fall. Regular customer for many years, suddenly had an outstanding order and wouldn't return calls or e-mails, so I walked in one day. The miserable f*ck lied right to my face in front of witnesses. The next day, the secretary on her way into work stopped by the shop and told me she was so sorry, she couldn't stand up for me, but knew her job would be terminated if she spoke up. I told her my problem was with her boss and I knew what he had said and she needn't worry, it's not her battle.

Anyway, I finally got paid and got a song and dance after I got the check and everyone was once again honky-dory.... except for me.

I then made up a complete new pricing schedule with all of the things they order from us. I made the list price about 30% higher and said they would receive their normal pricing if paid in 10 days or less.

I got some funny phone calls. Needless to say, I didn't get any work this past fall and believe it or not.... just last week, the girl that does all of the ordering asked if we would consider taking them back as customers. Well of course Felicia..... I never considered you gone, just lost. She explained she can't get the stuff on a timely basis, the quantities are always wrong, the shipping is killing them and we're just right down the street. Anyway, they are now ordering and paying by check upon pick/up and when our credit card machine comes in this week, they'll be doing it that way from now on.

A very short rope is most generous when working with most Realtors. Many Realtors are some of our best customers... and some can be down-right evil.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Nope. It was such a small job, I let it slide, not thinking that their integrity was only worth $30.00
OK been there done that - got scolded by my wife.....
No more nice guy the next time.

wayne k
guam usa

royster13

Of course he's making more money, hes no longer creating roomfulls of unpaid signs! that will increase anyones bottom line.

Yes but he is losing sales from folks that get pissed off when they get asked for a deposit?.....After 35+ years in business I am happy to work without deposits at times.....I do pick and choose but I think I am still ahead at the end of the day....

ucmj22

Yes but he is losing sales from folks that get pissed off when they get asked for a deposit?.....After 35+ years in business I am happy to work without deposits at times.....I do pick and choose but I think I am still ahead at the end of the day....

name me one, serious, national company that will produce a retail product without payment. I cant get a .99¢ McDouble without paying first, I dont expect walmart to invoice me for the TV i just walked out of the store with... if its not paid for, I expect them to be calling the cops. If I want custom cabinets from lowes I have to pay a upfront to place the order. Why should signs be the exception?

royster13

name me one, serious, national company that will produce a retail product without payment. I cant get a .99¢ McDouble without paying first, I dont expect walmart to invoice me for the TV i just walked out of the store with... if its not paid for, I expect them to be calling the cops. If I want custom cabinets from lowes I have to pay a upfront to place the order. Why should signs be the exception?

Our local Walmart and McDonalds sends out invoices from time to time....Obviously not to individuals but to well established local businesses and government agencies.....

And my contractor friend has an account with Home Depot and orders custom stuff all the time....Just pays his bill when the stuff arrives and he gets his statement....

Early in my business life I followed all the so called rules and had a hard time making a living.....Now I am way more flexible and make way more money.....

WildWestDesigns

Early in my business life I followed all the so called rules and had a hard time making a living.....Now I am way more flexible and make way more money.....

Have to be careful about how flexible you are. I've known quite a few that have been burned by being flexible (including myself).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Our local Walmart and McDonalds sends out invoices from time to time....Obviously not to individuals but to well established local businesses and government agencies.....

And my contractor friend has an account with Home Depot and orders custom stuff all the time....Just pays his bill when the stuff arrives and he gets his statement....

I would have to say... you are the exception. :omg:

No offense, I wish I could do what you say you do..... and to a degree I can with some customers, but I've been burnt far too many times to make that the rule. My gut instinct has gotten much better over the years, but like I said in my earlier post.... even some of the loyal guys get their underwear rolled up in a bunch and have looked out for numero UNO... and that ain't ever gonna be me or you.

Locals Find!

Your way of thinking will work fine with many businesses not real estate agents. Offices or Brokerages you can operate normally with give them terms etc.. they are corporate entities. Agents are Contract Employees they can do whatever they like. They are individuals and have to be treated as such. I treat them like I would any other walk in customer.

You have to because a deal they have been working for months can fall apart last minute leaving them flat broke. You get paid when they have cash not when a sale closes. Especially in this NEW market of Short Sales & Foreclosures. Nothing is guaranteed till 10 minutes after closing.