• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another unfortunate design that could have been better

SignManiac

I just finished this one on Friday. The crest was supplied to me as is. I immediately had a problem with the layout of the lettering. The year 1889 throws everything off balance. If they could have made it say EST. 1889, that might have helped with the overall balance. Sad to see such a nice sign ruined by a poor layout. The piece is 5'high. x 36" wide and made from HDU and PVC

Well this is another case of polishing a turd as Jillbeans would say :)

Attachments

• St Leo Biz-01.jpg
    St Leo Biz-01.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 107
  • St Leo Biz-02.jpg
    St Leo Biz-02.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 83
  • St Leo Biz-03.jpg
    St Leo Biz-03.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 94
  • St Leo Biz-04.jpg
    St Leo Biz-04.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 93
  • St Leo Biz-05.jpg
    St Leo Biz-05.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Marlene

it is really nice even with the offset type! they couldn't do the est as it says "chartered". the only way around that would have been to spell out the date which would have looked odd too. some times, you just have to look away from things like that and just enjoy how great the rest looks! you do some really nice work and it is always a pleasure to see it!

Marlene

Marlene thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was a difference between chartered and est.

chartered 1889 or est. 1889. they both refer to when it happened. we have a ton of chartered towns around here so I'm used to seeing the word with a date.

Jillbeans

The only thing I could suggest is to ad the initials A.D. to help balance the 1889., or a rectangular panel at the bottom to hold that part of the copy.
Ya did good Bob.
And on Mythbusters they proved that one can, in fact, polish a turd.
Love.....Jill

SignManiac

Jill I think I saw that episode :) At this rate, I'm thinking of starting a new turd polishing franchise. I think it has great potential in this day and age of crap!

SignManiac

Jarby not sure I understand your question? There was anything I could do at all. The design was sent to me to be done as is. If I had been involved in the design phase, I would have tried to explore other design solutions given the chance. I'm sure the original was created by a graphix designer.