• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another vinyl removal question

This topic sort of goes with the topic of vinyl removal on old illuminated faces, but I decided to start a new thread.

My question is this...

From everyone's experience where do you draw the line between removal and replacement of graphics on the existing panel and complete panel replacement altogether? I would like tips and tricks on what to look for when a panel has become too old and requires replacement. Are there any specific things to look for that would indicate that a panel's structural integrity may be compromised?

Also, along these lines, is there a certain point at which panel replacement becomes a more economical alternative to removal and replacement of graphics? Is the age and condition of the graphics always a factor or can sheer size become a critical factor as well?

Just looking for any opinions on this.

Craig Sjoquist

Ok ...If the panel is yellowing .. replace

If the vinyl letters are severely cracking like the reds & blues... replace

You can remove old vinyl with a steam wall paper remover fairly easy even cracked just takes a few hours or way less...But add all that up new panels seem rather low cost.

Replacement if panels are old & yellow or with severely cracked baked in vinyl is a easy choice, the rest depends on your time, customers willingness with cash, clients reaching for.

It used to be all painted on back side so when using cleaner if it started crazing.. replaced.

signage

Easiest way to figure is to guesstimate how long it would take you to remove and clean panel, then take that time at your shop rate. Then compare the costs of the two, only thing to remember is it usually takes longer to remove than you think!

401Graphics

Ok ...If the panel is yellowing .. replace

If the vinyl letters are severely cracking like the reds & blues... replace

You can remove old vinyl with a steam wall paper remover fairly easy even cracked just takes a few hours or way less...But add all that up new panels seem rather low cost.

Replacement if panels are old & yellow or with severely cracked baked in vinyl is a easy choice, the rest depends on your time, customers willingness with cash, clients reaching for.

It used to be all painted on back side so when using cleaner if it started crazing.. replaced.
+1