• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another what would you do scenario

Letterbox Mike

Aaaaaaaaargh.

Tell me what you would do in this situation...

We have a client we do wholesale printing for, just a little design agency. They have a client that requested a wrap which they hired us to do. They were very upfront with us and said they've never designed a wrap before and wanted some guidance. I gave them two options, either we'll design it for you at your direction for $850+ or we can supply you with the template and we'll "hold your hand" as much as possible, to teach you how to design it so you can competently design other wraps in the future. I don't mind helping them like this, they're decent customers and nice people.

They agreed to let us help them design it. They signed our invoice sent to them, and faxed that over to us. They then proceeded to forward our invoice to their client, who proceeded to pay us directly. WTF? First, that's a wholesale price we gave them, and we never agreed to work with or bill their client directly. But whatever, doesn't really matter.

So we send them the template for the vehicle (BadWrap if it matters). Their designer calls and says she's having trouble making it look right. She wanted a black background with a chameleon looking effect (like the paint that shifts colors from green to purple). She didn't really seem to understand how to even use the Bad Wrap template either. I spent about an hour on the phone with her walking her through how I would do it and how to use the template. I also raised my concern that that effect will not look like the real thing when printed, it's just not possible, but she may be successful achieving a similar look by carefully airbrushing the appropriate colors in the right places... She said she understood, had a grasp on it and thanked me for my time. I offered to sit down with her at her office or mine and help her in person further is she had any more issues.

That was 3 weeks ago and I hadn't heard a peep since. I assumed everything was fine and dandy and they were just working out the final design.

Today we get a call that the end customer (not the designer) wants their money back and they're hiring someone else to print and install. Apparently the designer was never able to accomplish what she was looking for. The end customer had used another shop previously for some work and recommended they call them for help. They gave them a PVO template which she was able to make work just fine apparently.

So the designer is saying they feel like we didn't do enough to help them accomplish the design they were after and they and the end customer believe we're not the shop for the job and believe they are entitled a refund.

I should point out when we got the approval/check we ordered a roll of 180C and matching laminate and set it aside so we would have everything we needed when the art was approved.

So now they want me to eat $1000 in materials and refund the entire amount. Their argument is I'll still be able to use the material on other jobs so it shouldn't be a big deal, which is true. But that's beyond the point, it's the principal of the matter that isn't right.

I'm content with standing my ground and refusing the refund, but they're being argumentative about it and demanding it back. I'm just not sure what to do.

neato

Well, if I understand correctly, the payment they gave to you was for a wrap, which hasn't been installed. So they didn't receive what they paid for.

To be fair, I would refund them the majority, but take out a percentage for the time you spent helping with the design.

"Deposit Please"

Your fault, and now, your name is getting a "Bad Wrap" You should've designed it in the first place, because you have the experience in this field. Your Calibrated Monitor, your rip software, your printer, your awesome design, your experience, and finally, your gonna have to install this design. Everything has to be precise, from color correction to where all the artwork will lay on the actual vehicle as it sits in your shop. We never allow any outside design firms "design" a vehicle wrap, especially if they have no experience whatsoever in this field, don't care if it's friends or family, a wrap design should be left to a pro, that means you. We allow artwork like logo, pics or ideas to incorporate into the design from a client or 3rd party, but we do the final design for output. Also, not designing a wrap takes all the fun out of it. Hope you learned from your error. Somebody has to eat this one, hope it's not you.

ProWraps

ill give you $500 for the materials.....

in all seriousness. how did you eat materials you havent used? you will use them on another project. you just put your hand on the stove and got burned. you wont put ur hand on that stove no mo. lesson learned. move on.

speedmedia

I would tell them they are out of luck. there are to many "designers" out there without a clue that get themselves into trouble and expect an easy bailout.

What if they desinged the stuff and you printed it and it didn't fit or they don't like it? Tough for them...

We have a disclaimer that if they supply files and we print and it isn't right they pay for new ones...

Thanks,
Kurt

royster13

Is the material not usable on another job?....

In this case it is not about being "right", it is about doing what is best for your business in the future....If this is an otherwise decent client, just suck it up and refund the money....Education has a cost and and you just made a payment....

signage

1st mistake, you have no legal right to send them the template! The EULA is for you to use not to forward to someone else to use to design!

2nd when their client sent you payment that should have put up a red flag!

So I would refund the payment made to you by their client and send them a bill for the hour you spent trying to help them!

Letterbox Mike

First off, I'll be the first to admit sending the template was probably a violation of the EULA. I didn't even think about it until it was too late. I actually don't even have a copy of it, I bought the BW system used anyway, which was probably another violation of it...

Moving on. I fully understand and agree with giving a refund if we did not do what we said we would (i.e. produced a sub-par product, failed to deliver on time, etc.). What I disagree with is signing a contract, giving a deposit, and then pulling the rug out from under us when we weren't even given the opportunity to produce the job we were hired to do because another vendor in the process couldn't do their job, and yet the project is still moving forward with that vendor and a different print provider. That said, this evening I offered to do one of two things. Either I'll design the wrap for them for no charge (it's simple and I could have it done in less than an hour), or I'd refund the deposit less a 25% restocking fee and our time involved up to this point which totaled about 5.5 hours between hand holding, emails back and forth before and after the deposit was given, my time on the phone with the designer telling her how to do her job, etc.. They refused, said they'll settle for nothing short of a full deposit, and were highly insulted I suggested I am entitled to any money since it's our fault this has not worked...

But all of that may be inconsequential, I got an interesting bit of news this evening...

I had a conversation with another customer this evening. This customer is also a wholesale customer we print a lot of wraps for. He also quoted this job, and he knew he had lost it to our other customer, and he also knew we were doing the production. He says a couple weeks back the end customer buying the wrap called him back to confirm his price was still good and that they intended to pull the plug on the other company stating the wrap was produced and installed and the company that installed it really messed up the install and the colors were way off. He says they named US by name. He said he didn't say anything about it to me because it wasn't really his business and he felt awkward getting in the middle of a dispute between me and another customer. I then clarified that at this point we've not even gotten a file from the designer, let alone actually printed anything. He went on to say the end client believes that they delivered the vehicle to the designer who in turn "delivered it to us" for the production, which we then f'd up.

At this point I have no proof of this, but I also have no reason whatsoever to doubt this customer, he's been one of the more upstanding and reputable people I've ever done business with. So now I'm left wondering what the real situation is here... I can't begin to wrap my head around the logistics of hiring a different printer to print and install, hiding this from the end customer, and then figuring out how to get the deposit given to us back. Shady doesn't even begin to describe it...

signage

Well you have the end customers name so I would call them and see if this really did happen, if they say yes, I would then tell them that you have not seen any design nor have you printed and installed one yet! This all sounds shady to me!

Letterbox Mike

Well you have the end customers name so I would call them and see if this really did happen, if they say yes, I would then tell them that you have not seen any design nor have you printed and installed one yet! This all sounds shady to me!

I actually don't have their name, I've had no communication with them whatsoever, from day one the designer was handling all of the logistics. We just got a check in the mail one day, like I said, it was a surprise to us, and irritating because they sent them our wholesale estimate. But it's a local restaurant chain so no name was on it other than the signature which nobody could read anyway. And now they want us to write the refund check out to some other company which they claim is the "parent" company of the restaurant. All different info than what was on the check. Of course I refused and said if they want me to refund THEM money THEY need to call me directly.

This has gone from a "what would you do" to "days of our lives". Jesus.

Slamdunkpro

Red Flag. How long ago and in what form did you get the deposit from the end user? Who wants you to send the refund? The end user? Could this be some kind of closed account / counterfeit check or credit card scam?

Circleville Signs

In my mind it's relatively simple.

Does this company spend enough money with you on a yearly basis to justify this much of a PITA?

If so, refund their money, and let them know that you are aware they are using you as the "bad guy" in their dealings with their customer.

If not, tell them to shove it.

Letterbox Mike

The designer is requesting the deposit "on behalf" of the end customer.

And no, I'll sleep just fine without this client. They spend maybe $5k a year with us, and we have to work for it. They've always been nice people and we've never had a problem but they really aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed and we have to hold their hand quite a bit. The pricing they receive reflects this and it's never been an issue though. In this case, someone is trying to screw me, and while I suspect there is a lot more to this story than I'm being told, the designer is by no means innocent in this and I believe they're trying to throw us under the bus for their failure, which is grounds for us to fire them as clients anyway.

signage

If you got a check from them then you have their name! Also almost all business checks I have gotten have name and address on them! Who is saying you didn't do anything the end customer or your customer?

GVP

If you are going to give them a cheque as a refund, I'd make them come in to collect it - either your customer or the end user. At least it would give you the opportunity to have a dialog and get to the bottom of it...

dwt

50% restock fee for special materials (why should you stock em' when grimco has a warehouse full?)- plus #of hours wasted x $75 per hour. send them the remainder and good riddance.

When I have a signed contract for work I'll hold their feet on the fire if they try to back out.