• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another "What would you do"

ova

Have a client who is also a friend. We've known each others family for over thirty years. Last Thursday the son [39yrs old] brings a new truck to the shop to get lettered. The following day he gets hit by a car in front of their place of business. In critical condition. Severe head trauma broken neck, as of this morning word is he will not make it.

I took the finished truck back yesterday evening, but didn't take a bill. I know most on here say get the money up front, but these people always pay when I deliver the vehicles. No questions ask. Been doing their vehicle for about five years and never a problem.

How would you go about getting paid? Send an invoice? Wait a few weeks and stop in hand delivering it? Just some comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

mark in tx

Wait a few weeks to send the bill.
If the worst happens, they will still have to pay their phone bill, water bill, etc... so don't get too worked up over it.
Just continue to be the friend you have been.

Bigdawg

Just Me
For me friends trump money at this point. Wouldn't worry about it until they know if their son will pull through. If they've always paid, there's no reason to think they won't now. But as a friend it would be the last thing I want them worrying about.

S

SignTech

I had a customer, well paying ... and loyal once in PA ..... was finishing her store front windows ....... she shot herself in the head ....... it's in my threads somewhere, she survived ... it was like a $300 dollar job or something ........ I never went after the money, it was a sad event ........ months later when she recovered ....... they contacted me, paid the past bill and ordered more ....... I really only cared that she was ok ....... it will out work out eventually hopefully for you ...... if you are asking for an opinion ... hang back ...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would just give the truck to them and tell them not to worry about the invoice or anything from me at this point. Tell them you're sorry for what's happened and to put all your efforts into your son.

Business can come later when the dust settles regardless of which way the events turn out.

I pray their son pulls through.... never a good time, but right now is really not a nice time for this crap.

GoodPeopleFlags

Maybe hand them the invoice with it marked "Paid" and tell them not to worry about it as they have more important things to worry about. By giving them the invoice, they know what the total "would" have been. Maybe when things calm down they'll send you a payment. If they don't, I, personally, wouldn't worry about it. Just a thought off the top of my head.

Locals Find!

Throw the invoice in the Glove box don't say a word and give them the truck back with your condolences. Then forget about it unless they bring it to your attention.

If they don't pay it then they don't pay it. I would worry more about them and their son than the invoice.

Jane Diaz

This should be the LEAST of their worries at this point and I think you owe it to the friendship to just not worry about it. I think I would just write that one off as a business loss on my taxes and never mention it to the family. IF they ever offer to pay I would say that there was no charge. All you are out is a few dollars...they could lose their family member. IMHO

ova

Thanks for all the replies. News from the hospital today is not good. When I went up to the hospital yesterday, I saw one of the cousins that also works in the business. First thing he said was the truck looked good and did I leave an invoice at the office.

The money issue was not the problem. I guess what I was really asking is, when does business and friendship separate? This is a pretty big towing, salvage yard, used parts business. I'm sure they have an accountant that takes care of invoices. Just hits close to home knowing the family like we do.

Sucks when things like this happens. We'll probably wait until after the Holidays to send the invoice if we send one at all.

Again, thanks for the concerns and replies.

Dave

Brandon708

YOUR FRIENDS SON ALMOST DIED AND YOU WAN TO SEND HIM A BILL???!!!!

Let it go and if he really is your friend he will pay you when they can.

showcase 66

I lost 2 cousins a couple years ago on Christmas Eve. Not an easy thing to deal with during the Christmas season. (as if there is an easy time) For something like this. Your friendship is more important than business. Be there for them and in the end you will receive your payment.

I would wait until they have asked for the invoice again. Even if they have someone else do the accounting. They too just had a co-worker almost get killed in an accident.

ova

Hey Brandon. I think you missed where I had spoken to one of the relatives who also are part owner in the business. He questioned whether I had brought an invoice with the truck. Seems like he knows how to separate the two more than me. The invoice would have gone to the business office, not to any one person.

I think you also missed where I wrote [if I send one at all]. Hope you didn't get the wrong impression of me.

Dave

Fatboy

Hey Dave I think you are a great friend to have by showing this concern. I think one of the previous reply's where harsh on you. I think they maybe just missed the point.