• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anti graffiti coating for mural

coyote

Can anyone recommend an anti graffiti clear coat for wall murals? I've been looking online and have found several but much prefer to hear about what you folks have used and found effective and not too toxic. Thanks.

Craig Sjoquist

In Arcola Ill. one of the murals ( Lawn Rangers ) had a small picture of Obama holding a broom leading the parade he did this once & they wanted it on there, a local artist painted it & did a awesome job.

It was clear coated soon after because knowing full well it would be tagged, it was, then cleaned off no problems.
But I do believe it was a 2 part automotive clear coat ... Bill Diaz had the right stuff ... I looked for it but no find.

Although Ronan's Aquathane & Modern Masters clear coat are what I use & can remove paint off them ..not over & over.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
what you would probably want to look into is a sacrificial coating. Anything permanent really is designed only for spray paint only but if they use other graffiti methods ... mop sticks for example, which is latex paint in a half filled shoe polish container ... it will stick and not want to come off, as well as resist other removal techniques from the waxy polish. a sacrificial coating can be power washed off then reapplied if needed.

Joe Diaz

We've always worried more about extending the longevity of a mural more so than protection from graffiti, perhaps that has to do with the area we live in, that being said come UV clears should provide some protection as long as you get to the graffiti quickly enough.

This video of my dad may be helpful:

[video=youtube;a5FQvb2U_k8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5FQvb2U_k8[/video]

(I should note this video applies to panels. You won't want to use this product on brick or block.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Diaz

For brick or block we have had luck with Ronan Aquathane, however you have wait a week after the mural is finished before you can clear. Since we travel to do murals you can imagine how that might be an issue. So we have found another product that we are trying out now that can be applied the next day. It's from a company called Prime Coatings. You would have to contact them directly primeleatherfinishes.com. But if waiting a week isn't an issue I would try Ronan.

coyote

Thanks very much. Joe, I've always enjoyed seeing your murals and it's great that it's a family tradition. I'll keep researching the anti graffiti information. I've had luck with Ronan Water Clear for UV protection, but would love to try one of the coatings that will not allow any paint to adhere.