• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anti-Graffiti Films

Sign Works

Is anyone using anti-graffiti films on digital prints? Any experience good or bad with any peticular brand? All input welcome, thanks everyone. :thumb:

Sign Works

So noone here is using anti-graffiti film? That would explain the limited availability as well as the astronomical price.

seesaw signs

We use them fairly often here, most commonly with street-level signage and around schools and public transport. I tend to stick to any of the Tedlar anti-graffiti films. They seem to be really UV resistant as well; I'm not sure if thats a planned outcome or a fluke, but its fine by me, especially in our climate. The film is really thin so it can be a pain when laminating...

Flame

Curious what's special about anti graffiti? You know I can take a regular sign, that's been laminated with the cheapest china lam I have in my shop, graffiti it, and next day spray the snot out of it with some brake cleaner or goof off....and that paint would come right off without doing so much as maybe just dulling the surface of the sign a little.

So, I'm curious, what is different about anti graffiti film? Aren't most laminated prints somewhat "anti graffiti" ? or am I missing something here? :p

miltondavis

Curious what's special about anti graffiti? You know I can take a regular sign, that's been laminated with the cheapest china lam I have in my shop, graffiti it, and next day spray the snot out of it with some brake cleaner or goof off....and that paint would come right off without doing so much as maybe just dulling the surface of the sign a little.

So, I'm curious, what is different about anti graffiti film? Aren't most laminated prints somewhat "anti graffiti" ? or am I missing something here? :p

I couldnt agree more...

seesaw signs

Any physical barrier between graffiti and the print is going to provide some antigraffiti properties but I think the difference here is in the makeup of the film itself, in the PVF part of the film... or I may have been caught up in a big Dupont con and am top shelf prices for nothing... but I do know that an anti graffiti laminated print won't shrink or tunnel or do anything silly like a mismatched monomeric/polymeric combination might, and a Tedlar film has a better UV protection of prints than most laminates. You can wipe it down with just about any solvent and it doesn't damage the face, although the antigraf lam is more of a lustre film than gloss so its not going to scratch up the way a gloss film would. And clean it much more often than you could a regular film.

4R Graphics

I agree most laminates seem to be anti graffiti. I have found that some cleaners will tear up laminate but most semi harsh cleaners wont effect the laminate and get the marker, paint off no problem.

Sign Works

Flame it is my understanding that things do not stick well to Tedlar (anti-graffiti films) therefore are much easier to remove the graffiti paint/marker from them. I also believe that it is more solvent resistant than standard lam films, allowing the repeated use of harsh chemicals such as lacquer thinner without harming/dulling/clouding the finish. I have no cold hard facts to back this up, that is why I was asking for input.

Sign Works

I agree most laminates seem to be anti graffiti. I have found that some cleaners will tear up laminate but most semi harsh cleaners wont effect the laminate and get the marker, paint off no problem.

I find this interesting, today I will do an actual test on both regular lam film and Tedlar anti-grafitti film. I'll spray paint & Sharpie marker both & let dry 24 hours then tomorrow I'll hit em both with Naptha, MEK & Lacquer Thinner. Will post up results for those that might be interested.

Malkin

I find this interesting, today I will do an actual test on both regular lam film and Tedlar anti-grafitti film. I'll spray paint & Sharpie marker both & let dry 24 hours then tomorrow I'll hit em both with Naptha, MEK & Lacquer Thinner. Will post up results for those that might be interested.

I recommend that you also have a piece that you allow to sit for 1-2 weeks, perhaps outdoors, before cleaning.

I had a situation where I was asked to quote graffiti removal. I stopped by and tried a corner of it and it came up easily (some paint, some marker). As I wasn't prepared to clean it all right then, I went back and quoted some labor. When I finally had time to take care of it, it came off extremely hard. I had to conclude that the extra time made the difference.

Vandal Guard USA

If any of you are in need of high quality Anti-Graffiti laminate that won't break the bank check out Vandal Guard anti-graffiti laminate. Graffiti such as paint and permanent marker wipe away easily from Vandal Guard using laquer thinner and a rag. It's a specially formulated polyester laminate that is dimensionally stable and can be applied over cast or calendared vinyl. Graffiti can be repeatedly removed without "dulling" the laminate. 54" x 100' $249 & 36" x 100' $179.

Did you ever perform this test and post your findings?

Jwalk

Somewhat related. I have used anti graffiti coatings (clear paint) for painted murals.

The spray paint/graffiti just sits on the surface never cures to the surface, can literally rub it off with your finger.

Must be somewhat the same thing for vinyl application.