• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Anti Virus Software

S11930

The best solution is the most obvious. Look at the email address header. if you don't know it don't open it. if it says you have won a million dollars and trip around the world look at the header. If it says they want 500 red banners with jesus loves you. Look at the header. And of course don't go to those sites you know you shouldn't go to during work.

Bly

Windows defender on all our PCs & never click on anything we're not 100% sure of.
Greed and curiosity will get you every time.

Asuma01

These people who only say malwarebytes and Microsoft defender only are scaring me.
We use eset Nod32. No antivirus no matter how good it is will protect you if a user has no understanding of how a virus can infect your computer. "THINK before you click." as they say.

BALLPARK

Thanks for the replies... some good content there to review!

I normally spot the phishing emails easily. While they are getting better with proper English and limited to a short vague common email, when attached from a "re:" / reply from a real previous. But I guess one got me...

I will open the email headers and copy the link address, then search for results or just call the client/supplier or just create a new email to them asking about it. Still had to delete more emails than I care to count, had to deal with the calls from clients/suppliers asking about it, and take the time to change all passwords on a digital platform, and now trying to figure out the best way forward.

We use GoDaddy Workspace. They want to move away from it and they plan to stop offering it. Not sure which email system & hosting to use now. Just another turning point in a digital world. Research what you can and hope it's valid input that can minimize the risk. The human error is gonna happen... shame the foundation in which the hackers are able to stay in the shadows is only going to get worse.

Again... thanks for the replies. Time to finish up and get back on track.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Not sure which email system & hosting to use now. Just another turning point in a digital world.
Well - it sounds like it's time to do some server/webhosting shopping. I'd generally recommend a VPS server so that you have more control over the functionality. Dedicated server hosting is recommended for sites with a large amount of traffic. On either VPS or Dedicated - you'd have the option of installing security & firewall that will help stop most spam and infected email at the server level.

HTH. Best of luck to ya BALLPARK

SignsSupport

visual800

Avira is the one Im running now. AVG is crap but at one time it was good, Avast was also good one time. Both of these got bloated bad! Norton? Not a chance in hell, shocked they are still at it, way to bloated.

As far as Windows Defender, nope. I dont allow anything marked with Microsoft to protect my computer. I run MBAM, CCleaner and Defraggler.

WildWestDesigns

Norton? Not a chance in hell, shocked they are still at it, way to bloated.

Gotta love the consumer version. I do believe the enterprise version from Symantec has a better rep. When I was getting store bought computers, I hated that they had Norton on there. It really gets tangled up throughout the system.

I run MBAM, CCleaner and Defraggler.

I do believe you are on Win 7, which possibly means that you have an SSD (may not, but it's possible, especially if you ever upgraded the hard drive as that is the biggest 1st upgrade to do on computers). Running a defrag program on an SSD (if you have one) has little to no benefit. The program may mess with the SSD for a time, but I doubt the gains would be worth the reduction in lifespan of an SSD.

The other 2 are a good combination.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea 99% of the time defraging is not needed, but people like saying they do it cause they think its some "inside tech" thing that helps...just wears out HDD faster.

These people who only say malwarebytes and Microsoft defender only are scaring me.
We use eset Nod32. No antivirus no matter how good it is will protect you if a user has no understanding of how a virus can infect your computer. "THINK before you click." as they say.

Agreed ESET appears to be brilliant, not a fan of Kaspersky after they let in a very bad virus then couldn't even find it let alone remove it. ESET online scanner did though so we cancelled our subscription and moved over. Thank god for backups! I'm bias but ESET saved me and the remote administrator is really good. We have about 30 odd computers/operators on the network if it had spread much further could of been horrible. Wasnt nice anyway but I was grateful it wasn't worse.
I would also say keep XP or below computers off the internet if possible.

WildWestDesigns

I would also say keep XP or below computers off the internet if possible.

I'm a little bit more aggressive then that (especially with the rolling release nature of Win 10 (which is one of quite a few reasons why I don't use Windows anymore on bare metal (didn't go the Mac route either)) in that any production computer (doesn't matter what the OS is) should be kept off the WAN. Doesn't matter to me if it's legacy or current.

Even if the culprit in question doesn't affect the host system, that host computer can still act as a typhoid mary and spread it throughout the network.

The irony is, even if the computer itself is protected, more then likely the IoT devices are not (or not as well as the computers) and that can still be just as bad.

visual800

I do believe you are on Win 7, which possibly means that you have an SSD (may not, but it's possible, especially if you ever upgraded the hard drive as that is the biggest 1st upgrade to do on computers)

No I dont have SSD and yes Im on windows 7. The HD is the same that came on this comp, 1 TB

WildWestDesigns

No I dont have SSD and yes Im on windows 7. The HD is the same that came on this comp, 1 TB

There was a 50/50 chance that you had one, it's when they were starting to become in vogue. Regular mechanical HD is fine to defrag. Most newer computers now will probably be SSDs. Possible exceptions would perhaps be the cheaper models.