• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any body here do this?

SignosaurusRex

Back in the late 70's, 80's and early 90's I did a lot of that. It was fun for a long time and then technology took over. Now some years later, it's coming back little by little. For some of us "Old Schoolers", it's where the LOVE is at and we find it a very welcome and therapeutic change of pace. There are still a few guys like Glen Weisgerber and Bert Quimby, both out of Jersey (just to name a couple of the best) that still hammer out these jobs all day, every day, and make serious dollars.

rjssigns

Neat.

When I lived up north a police officer used to do most of the stock cars. He could knock out single stroke letters almost as fast as you could write. Real treat to watch him work.

ol'phart

I miss those days

I miss the days when a "sign painter" was considered an artist. Somehow computer generated sign making does not have the same romance. I keep my old sign kit around for whenever I get the chance to hand letter something.

Craig Sjoquist

I keep my barely used vinyl cutter on the shelf in case I ever get the urge to get it FIXED to work again

I rarely sell vinyl & when I do 90% chance I will hand cut & it will be most likely on a back lighted sign with translucents.

I always hand paint & for the last 40 years & hope another 40 years, these days I am studying harder on making my lettering be more true font correct then ever before & my layouts even better reading & understanding.

PC are nice but my interest is just not there like it is with Hand lettering.

& YES there is a great deal of real interest in hand lettering from the younger generations learning in all the workshops available & one school to customers demand which continues to grow much due to the cold image of print, poor design, & time amount it lasts, plus it costs both what it takes to deal with & what it takes to redo.

signgirl

I remember when I was very young my father had a easel set up in our dining room practicing. When I joined the company at 18 they were still lettering but I was making the patterns and hand cutting thru transfer paper then rolling the paint over it and peeling the frisket ( transfer paper ). Sadly I never had the love for hand lettering like my father. His vacation ( when he could squeeze one in ) was going to Florida and working in sign shop for the week just hand lettering....no phones, no handling customers.....just lettering. Then along came the Gerber 4B and the hand lettering dwindled.

Billct2

Of course the one person that didn't get acknowledged in the credits is the sign guy. I used to do a lot of late models, usually the week before the opening day while they were tuning it or some other project that made working difficult. But it was fun, there was lots of artistic freedom and they were always thrilled with the lettering because it really looked like a race car when I was done. And they paid cash. I've done a few "Legends" cars that wanted to reproduce the original paint scheme authentically.