• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Experience with Arlon Wrap Products?

grafixemporium

We have exclusively used 3M wrap vinyl products since day one. Never even experimented with Avery Supercast, Oracal 3951, Arlon 6000XRP or anything else.

Now I have a project in front of me we have to shave costs wherever possible. The wraps are going on fiberglass monster truck bodies. There are some moderate compound curves around the hood and fenders since it's all one molded piece of fiberglass. We have to keep in mind that these need to look good for show, but they are going to get torn up often. Cost is a factor. We can get 2 full truck bodies out of a 54"x150' roll of vinyl.

I'm looking at Arlon 6000X and 6000XRP... which is over $200 cheaper than 3M per 54"x150' set of vinyl and lam.

Anyone have any feedback on these 2 products? What's the difference between the X and the XRP? Price point is the same.

Price difference on Supercast is marginal compared to Controltac. Same with Oracal.

Any other options or ideas for this type of application?

Thanks!

Andrew

smdgrfx

I've only used it on trailers, but had good success. I still use 3m for just about everything, but as you said - when looking for cutting costs....

ucmj22

I thought it was great. Good adhesion, and air egress that I think is superior to 3M. Ultimately we went back to IJ180 because the Arlon adhesive was a little quicker and more aggressive, similar to oracal. Pretty good stretchability too. I liked it but the other installers preferred the lower tac 180 so we went back.

grafixemporium

I'm not following you. I'm sure the vinyl is a little different, but I doubt seriously it's going to add hours and hours to the install process. This is probably one of the easiest installations we'll ever do. It's all molded fiberglass. No obstacles. Trust me, I'm not scared.

Just looking for feedback on the materials... not our install abilities. Thanks!

Last edited:

thehamsterman

We only use the 6000XRP in our shop.

It's a little harder to work with because it has a more aggressive adhesive then the 3m or easy RS we've used. the prints look great though.

That was our old installer though, new installer might switch to a new media.

smdgrfx

I will say that I liked the print quality and I like the air egress better than 3m also. I would go for it!

smdgrfx

I only have used the X, but the XRP is supposed to have more repositionability (is that a word??)...

I will probably try it next though. One thing I did like was the adhesive is aggressive enough that you don't need primer for those channels on vans. And I think it conforms/sticks better to rivets.

jasonx

Used to use 6000X exclusively till we had material failures that were deemed to be our fault. Now we use Avery 1005 EZ RS and never had a problem.

What about removal is that a factor?

grafixemporium

Yeah, removal is somewhat a factor. These trucks get banged up pretty often. Just look at all the body work on this one!

Attachments

• matador.jpg
    matador.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 65