• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any experience with CANVAS?

Colin

I'm thinking of investing in a roll of canvas for use in my Roland SP-540i printer. From what I've read, it is important to get one that is designed/intended for eco-sol inks, but does anyone know which might be the top 3 brands to consider?

w2csa

I hace a roll of InteliCoat Magic GFCVM.
It has worked very well for me.
Very nice print

Colin

I wonder if there's any dealers in Canada that carry it. The "Where to buy" option on their site suggests US only.

sfr table hockey

I wonder if there's any dealers in Canada that carry it. The "Where to buy" option on their site suggests US only.

Hey Colin,

Mondrian Hall has it. They were bought out by Unisource and the Head Office is out east. I could email you an old price list so you could see what else they had.

rivasm

Try the Roland brand canvas, the glossy we have found gives best results; print in standard quality, its counterintuitive but in high quality it seems to over saturate with ink the edges of black

CentralSigns

Dude you can buy it from Roland DGA if you are woried about compatability. The Matte has a more realistic look. They sell matte and gloss. All Graphic supplies also sells it as a distributer for Roland in Vancouver.

Colin

Thanks all. I failed to mention that it would be used for art-prints, not signage, so do you suspect that the matte (and the Roland product) is what the people in the art community would be happy with?

With the expense of this stuff, I plan on buying only one roll.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Sunset Select Satin is really nice to use.

That's what I use, from LexJet. A 30' x 36" roll is about $100.00 plus shipping. It prints really nice but you really should coat the print with Clear Shield or whatever. If you don't the prints seem to scratch rather easily.

If you're doing the stretching, do it on a clean blanket not a table and especially not a cutting mat. Even with a coating, sliding a print around on anything but a soft cloth will wear the ink off the edges in jig time. If you're doing a gallery wrap, be real careful with the corners scratching.

the art community and canvas prints......there a real funny and picky bunch to be honest. every detail/color etc needs to be spot on, its a whole different ball game from doing a canvas print of a family dog to someones art work!
be prepared to get alot of ear ache and questions/comments from them.

k.a.s.

I got a roll from Grimco that works great on my Mumaki. I belive the brand is Sihl. I have done a lot of photos to hang in my house. I usally make a wooden frame and do a gallery wrap.

Kevin

sfr table hockey

I am not sure if an artist would want a canvas with solvent inks? Do check if your potential customers to see if they would care. Reg photo prints can look quite good with solvent.

In waterbased, I know they do not want Dye inks (cheaper) and they do want the pigmented waterbased (based on my customers). I use torino canvas which I think is much better than Mac 7 (Rolands brand for both solvent or waterbased).

Can't say which is best for solvent inks.

Question for Bob: Do you know if you can call a solvent printed canvas a Giclee. I thought it had to be waterbased (archival 75-100 year) kind of thing? Just wanted your thoughts.

CentralSigns

Thanks all. I failed to mention that it would be used for art-prints, not signage, so do you suspect that the matte (and the Roland product) is what the people in the art community would be happy with?

With the expense of this stuff, I plan on buying only one roll.

You know several times I have offered you answers to your questions, and for some reason you always seem to throw the help back at me in a way that makes me feel like you think I know nothing. What the Uck is your problem, I was offering you advice on the the manufacturers product. The Roland DGA site has the canvas I speak of in the fine arts section and it is specially formulated for your printer. Like the other posters be carefull on who you sell to in the art world as some find ecosolvent inks to be inferior. Thats the last advice or help you'll get from me with your current attitude.