Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any experience with CANVAS?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Colin, Mar 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I'm thinking of investing in a roll of canvas for use in my Roland SP-540i printer. From what I've read, it is important to get one that is designed/intended for eco-sol inks, but does anyone know which might be the top 3 brands to consider?

Tags:
  2. w2csa

w2csa Active Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Canandaigua. NY
    I hace a roll of InteliCoat Magic GFCVM.
    It has worked very well for me.
    Very nice print

3. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Ya? Are you using an eco-sol printer? Roland?

4. w2csa

w2csa Active Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Canandaigua. NY
    Yep, SP300

5. w2csa

w2csa Active Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Canandaigua. NY
    The canvas worked better than my spelling...lol

6. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I wonder if there's any dealers in Canada that carry it. The "Where to buy" option on their site suggests US only.

7. rfulford

rfulford Active Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Orlando
    I have had great luck with Sihl Picasso Canvas on my Epson GS600s.

8. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Lexjet

Sunset Select Satin is really nice to use.

9. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta

Hey Colin,

Mondrian Hall has it. They were bought out by Unisource and the Head Office is out east. I could email you an old price list so you could see what else they had.

10. rivasm

rivasm New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Try the Roland brand canvas, the glossy we have found gives best results; print in standard quality, its counterintuitive but in high quality it seems to over saturate with ink the edges of black

11. CentralSigns

CentralSigns Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    Dude you can buy it from Roland DGA if you are woried about compatability. The Matte has a more realistic look. They sell matte and gloss. All Graphic supplies also sells it as a distributer for Roland in Vancouver.

12. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Thanks all. I failed to mention that it would be used for art-prints, not signage, so do you suspect that the matte (and the Roland product) is what the people in the art community would be happy with?

With the expense of this stuff, I plan on buying only one roll.

13. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    That's what I use, from LexJet. A 30' x 36" roll is about $100.00 plus shipping. It prints really nice but you really should coat the print with Clear Shield or whatever. If you don't the prints seem to scratch rather easily.

If you're doing the stretching, do it on a clean blanket not a table and especially not a cutting mat. Even with a coating, sliding a print around on anything but a soft cloth will wear the ink off the edges in jig time. If you're doing a gallery wrap, be real careful with the corners scratching.

14. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    the art community and canvas prints......there a real funny and picky bunch to be honest. every detail/color etc needs to be spot on, its a whole different ball game from doing a canvas print of a family dog to someones art work!
    be prepared to get alot of ear ache and questions/comments from them.

15. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    oh and i was actually going to tell you to ask bob(above) as he seems to be the guy in the know regarding canvas by the looks of it!

16. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
  17. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio
    I got a roll from Grimco that works great on my Mumaki. I belive the brand is Sihl. I have done a lot of photos to hang in my house. I usally make a wooden frame and do a gallery wrap.

Kevin

18. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    I am not sure if an artist would want a canvas with solvent inks? Do check if your potential customers to see if they would care. Reg photo prints can look quite good with solvent.

In waterbased, I know they do not want Dye inks (cheaper) and they do want the pigmented waterbased (based on my customers). I use torino canvas which I think is much better than Mac 7 (Rolands brand for both solvent or waterbased).

Can't say which is best for solvent inks.

Question for Bob: Do you know if you can call a solvent printed canvas a Giclee. I thought it had to be waterbased (archival 75-100 year) kind of thing? Just wanted your thoughts.

19. CentralSigns

CentralSigns Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    You know several times I have offered you answers to your questions, and for some reason you always seem to throw the help back at me in a way that makes me feel like you think I know nothing. What the Uck is your problem, I was offering you advice on the the manufacturers product. The Roland DGA site has the canvas I speak of in the fine arts section and it is specially formulated for your printer. Like the other posters be carefull on who you sell to in the art world as some find ecosolvent inks to be inferior. Thats the last advice or help you'll get from me with your current attitude.

20. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Yikes. Mega misunderstanding dude. Your avatar is fitting.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011