• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any experience with this vinyl?

Colin

I just bought a roll of this Tru-Stock vinyl (709851) for a large but short-term job, and the vinyl seems to be going all "gooey" after the ink is printed on it. I noticed this upon weeding. It feels all thin and wet, though it seems dry to the touch.

Also, what should the heat setting be for this particular stuff? I've got my SP540i at: Print: 39 / Dry: 42 (up from my normal of 38 and 38 for LG Hauseys).

Any experience with this stuff?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin,
I have not used that brand but most intermediate vinyl I print turns soft especially with full coverage and a dark (black) print. How long after printing are you letting it sit before trying to weed it out?
IJ35c(3M) still feels mushy even after a day or so when we go to install it.
We don't normally lam intermediate graphics so I think that contributes to the wimpy feel of the vinyl during the install.

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

I have not used that brand but most intermediate vinyl I print turns soft especially with full coverage and a dark (black) print. How long after printing are you letting it sit before trying to weed it out?

These particular prints that I noticed this on were not the huge job that I'm printing right now as we speak, but were some 3"x12" contour-cut decals that are solid red (Roland spot color) that I needed to blast out before doing the big job. I allowed a 1/16" white outline around them so as to avoid cutting into the ink and getting major curl. I only waited a few minutes before weeding.

It just seemed really odd, I haven't experienced this with the LG stuff.

I guess I'll wait a few days before covering 'em with pre-mask!

Attachments

• Sample.jpg
    Sample.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 75

Colin

Hey, wait just a cotton-pickin' minute......The dealer I bought this Tru-Stock from said that they got a pile of this 2 year "Emulsion" vinyl (807468) and were selling it off for $99.95 for the 54" roll. That is what the little white label says on the outside of the box, but the label on the roll of vinyl (and the label on the inside of the tube) says 709851 4 Year Premium Print Vinyl. What gives?

He told me that the only difference between the "Emulsion" stuff and regular print vinyl is that you can't use a wet application with it - is that correct?

Last edited:

CentralSigns

The 4 year tru stock has a solvent adhesive if you wanted to know. Might have to let it dry a couple hours after cutting, before weeding, the solvent ink makes it limp. Proveer sale in Vancouver perhaps, good price anyways. They claim its a premium material.

Colin

Ya, but it was sold to me as the 2 yr "emulsion" stuff, so I'm not really sure what it is. Again, the labelling on the box was 807468 GP 90# Emulsion, but the label on the roll says 4 yr premium 709851.

*shrug*

Colin

Like I said earlier, it was $99.95 for the 54" roll.

I'm printing on it non-stop right now, doing that big job. My printer is wondering what the heck is going on, and the take-up reel is howling pretty good, I hope it's not toast.

Sticky Signs

I haven't tried it yet but the price has got me interested. I'm still waiting for a sample roll. Your experience so far has me worried though.

Colin

Sticky: On this other job I'm doing, it seems to be going just fine. It's not a contour-cut job, just 4x8s which will be laid down onto coroplast.

It's a roll of Matte, and I'm printing at high-speed with awesome coverage. Before doing a small test print, I thought that it would not be good enough at high speed, but it's very solid (it's all teal lettering, Roland spot colour), no graduated tones. I'll let you know how it goes with laying it down.

Colin

This is the print coverage at high speed; pretty solid. (Actual colour is Teal, I guess something got lost in translation between camera, computer, monitor, & reality).

Attachments

• P1000663.JPG
    P1000663.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 87

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Like I said earlier, it was $99.95 for the 54" roll.

I'm printing on it non-stop right now, doing that big job. My printer is wondering what the heck is going on, and the take-up reel is howling pretty good, I hope it's not toast.

I sell a 5 Mil Glossy Adhesive Permanent 54"x150' $85.00 that works for that application.

Colin

That's what your high speed looks like? What profile are you using?

All vector stuff I print gets the Roland Spot color system applied (unless it's a complex file provided by a customer, in which case I just print it as is).

Sticky Signs

That looks great for a high speed print. I've only found a few materials that allow me to print at high speed with good results. I will definitely check this stuff out. I am still worried about the adhesive turning to mush though.

Colin

For those in my area who are considering this vinyl, I just spoke with Proveer, and they said that this batch of Tru-Stock "Emulsion" stuff was mis-labelled from the factory as 4 yr. It is indeed the 2 yr emulsion stuff.

Good for short term cheaper stuff.

Colin

Update:

Those decals I printed which went all gooey do feel a little better after sitting for a few days, but still more flimsy than the unprinted vinyl on the roll. Wierd.

On Saturday I applied 13 4'x8' prints (unlaminated) onto coroplast (solo) with the Big Squeegee, and it went down without a hitch. It released from the backing with ease. It's kind of an odd vinyl, it looks & feels like a composite of 90% vinyl and 10% paper, but this may be because it's their matte version, and I don't know what the Tru-Stock gloss is like, but this is a good deal for cheap/short-term stuff.

Proveer has a special on right now for the Tru-Stock 4 yr (not emulsion) for $134.95

Attachments

• Tru-Stock.jpg
    Tru-Stock.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 117

HulkSmash

Update:

Those decals I printed which went all gooey do feel a little better after sitting for a few days, but still more flimsy than the unprinted vinyl on the roll. Wierd.

On Saturday I applied 13 4'x8' prints (unlaminated) onto coroplast (solo) with the Big Squeegee, and it went down without a hitch. It released from the backing with ease. It's kind of an odd vinyl, it looks & feels like a composite of 90% vinyl and 10% paper, but this may be because it's their matte version, and I don't know what the Tru-Stock gloss is like, but this is a good deal for cheap/short-term stuff.

Proveer has a special on right now for the Tru-Stock 4 yr (not emulsion) for $134.95

you should talk to your rep! i pay 107 for a roll of that stuff in gloss. Always lam. it though....

Colin

I'm in Canada. Prices for pretty much everything in the States is always lower.

Lam: these were election signs - no way I'm laminating those.