• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any FastSigns franchise owners?

Desert_Signs

Don't forget a CA contractors license, you need one for non-electrical too

I was at a chamber event where I meet some smart-@ss Signarama franchisee... was asking if he was interested in bidding on a job. He pulls out his C-45 Electrical Contractors license and says "Got one of these?" I responded "Wow, how long have you been in the sign business" he said 5 years... He got his license fraudulently... and he figured out where I was going with the conversation. I worked at a Fastsigns and that place was a mess. Not because it was a Fastsign, but because these people were idiots.

I think a driven person with no experience can make a go of it, though I imagine it's a lot harder where contractors licenses are required.

Maybe it's because I'm not from California, but I have NO idea what you just said...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It means, if you get a Fastsigns franchise in California, you are only limited to banners, stickers, vehicle wraps. You won't be able to do anything on a building that cost more that 500 bucks or any sign that is electrical. You won't be able to get a contractors license unless you are a journeyman installer and that can take 4 years.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It means, if you get a Fastsigns franchise in California, you are only limited to banners, stickers, vehicle wraps. You won't be able to do anything on a building that cost more that 500 bucks or any sign that is electrical. You won't be able to get a contractors license unless you are a journeyman installer and that can take 4 years.

Doesn't that pertain not only to fastsigns, but signarama and any other franchise...... let aloneanyone doing business in that state and/or others with the same or similar laws ??

JoeyMeatball

Franchises are not in the printing business

I've had experience with both Minuteman Press and Alphagraphics and learned that neither of them are in the printing business, they're in the franchising business. A whopping 95% of all the owners in both franchises have no experience in printing. They are taught how to run a business and tell the owners to rely on their employees for print expertise. Which I find distressing, because if you don't know anything about printing, how are you going to know if your staff is giving you good advice?

Another problem is pay. Franchises tell their owners that since the economy still hasn't rallied for the middle class, you can pay employees that were making $21 an hour in 1999 $11 an hour today. Which leads to a high turnover rate because the person your paying $11 an hour is either very experienced and looking for a shop that pays properly or is very inexperienced and ends up costing you money with all the mistakes and reprints and the costs of you training their replacement (who is either very experienced and looking for a shop that pays properly or is very inexperienced and ends up costing you money with all the mistakes and reprints and the costs of you training their replacement).

Penny wise and pound foolish.

gnemmas

Not True. You can sell all kinds of signs, worth any amount of dollars. Only installation will be involved with contractor license.

Rick

Not True. You can sell all kinds of signs, worth any amount of dollars. Only installation will be involved with contractor license.

You should read the this...
http://www.calsign.org/top-10-contracting-errors/#more-487

You are brokering... that is illegal

You might want to read this...
California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A sign contractor fabricates, installs, and erects electrical signs, including the wiring of such electrical signs, and non-electrical signs, including but not limited to: post or pole supported signs, signs attached to structures, painted wall signs, and modifications to existing signs.

California Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A non-electrical sign installation contractor fabricates and installs all types of non-electrical signs, including but not limited to: post or pole supported signs, signs attached to structures, painted wall signs and modifications to existing signs.

Now You might not actually fabricate the sign, but you might be supplying them and marking them up, still makes you the fabricator.
You may be using a licensed "installer" but you made the sale, your name is on the contract for fabrication and installation.

Still illegal in the State of California

It might be wise to remove this post...

gnemmas

A non-electrical sign installation contractor fabricates and installs all types of non-electrical signs
This still says a non-electrical sign "installation contractor", "fabricates and installs"...... It does not say anyone makes or sells signs.

As a retail outlet, such as Grainger, Home Depot, still requires contractor license?

By the way, we did have a C/61/D42 contractor license.

Rick

A non-electrical sign installation contractor fabricates and installs all types of non-electrical signs

This still says a non-electrical sign "installation contractor", "fabricates and installs"...... It does not say anyone makes or sells signs.

As a retail outlet, such as Grainger, Home Depot, still requires contractor license?

By the way, we did have a C/61/D42 contractor license.

I know where you are getting at...

First off, the end user or owner usually buys a sign from those places. They are allowed to install these as owner/builder.
What do these places like gGranger and Home Depot sell? Bathroom signs.
I highly doubt it will go over 500 bucks and they are selling stock, retail signage...

If you are selling off the shelf signs... and I know you do... you are not contracting, you are selling retail signs.

The second you contract to fabricate and install directly to someone, you as the contracting company must have a license... and you know that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, they refer to that as the General Contractor. He is the one who has to be responsible for everything, even if he isn't getting his hands dirty.

In fact, we're having some work done at our home and the guy orchestrating the whole kit and kaboodle, is the only one we talk to concerning issues or whatnot. We can say hi to the other workers and ask them questions, but the Gen. really doesn't like or want that.