• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any FastSigns Owner here?

earplug

You don't need a Franchise! After watching your videos you are far ahead of the typical Franchisee of any Franchise Brand. Your equipment, software and design knowledge exceeds what the Franchisor classes will teach.

The only thing you will get is name recognition, which can be good or bad. The good part is in advertising support both local and national. The bad is if there are other locations near you with the same name and they are not good you may get lumped into the same bucket.

Great marketing backed by great design skills and customer service is only something you and your team can do. Not the Franchisor. You are already ahead with your successful business skills.

Also be aware that you will be entering into a 20-30 year contract with them. Getting out of the franchise will contain severe costs and non compete restrictions.

I would suggest you get an invitation to their Convention January 16-19, 2013 in Dallas and meet and great other owners. However, most at the conventions are the happy and successful owners.

Jack

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
Thanks for your kind words Jack! Yes I'm going to try to go to the convention and talk to as many people as I can and get their input. I've done a ton of searching on the internet and I have to tell you, there isn't much bad press on FastSigns. I know their competitors do have some mud, but not FastSigns.

The contract is for 20 years and I asked them if I could get out after 5 years if I wanted to and they said the only way to get out is to sell or go out of business! Gulp! However, having the FastSigns name is worth something and if I go to sell down the road, it will increase the value of the business. Another nice thing about FastSigns is if something happened to me, they could retrain my wife or kids to take over the business.

Still would like to hear from any FastSigns owners on the forums!
Thanks for all the great feedback!
Doc

Pat Whatley

Another thing to consider about going the franchise route is the resale value. Face it, the average sign shop owned by members here is worth little more than the resale value of the equipment. Few people are willing to shell out $150,000 for what amounts to some computer files and a customer list. Selling a franchise with a proven track record, with a proven successful business model, and a continuous support network is a whole lot easier for an investor to believe in.

Ragin Cajun

Another thing to consider about going the franchise route is the resale value. Face it, the average sign shop owned by members here is worth little more than the resale value of the equipment. Few people are willing to shell out $150,000 for what amounts to some computer files and a customer list. Selling a franchise with a proven track record, with a proven successful business model, and a continuous support network is a whole lot easier for an investor to believe in.

I watched Under Cover Boss last night.

Fast Signs was on there.

If you own a franchise and want to upgrade to a large store in a larger area....they will help sell your store for you.

The woman in charge of fast Signs gave away at least $150-$200K last night to her people after going under cover.

Ragin Cajun

you are right, because the 2 or 3 out of the 1000+ in the system that you have run into are all the same.:rolleyes:

Well...you can't place all fast signs companies in the same category

If you had 3 employees....they would all work different.

I am a photographer and we feel the same about Olan Mills...but...there is a place for everyone.

Ragin Cajun

A Fastsigns franchise in my area went belly up just after two two years which I hate to see any sign company fail.

If you buy a Silverado and tear it up...doesn't mean it is junk.

Maybe the guy was just not a business person.

They train you....but we all know...you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.

John Butto

Doc Zoom, watched all your videos you had posted. Your like Robert Preston in the Music Man and I see trouble with a capitol T. Fast Signs would be smart to team up with you. In all the years in the sign business I have never seen a more enthusiastic owner with money to spend and still have a smile. It was a great presentation. You even have Gino checking his pocket for his wallet. Your relationship with all the vendors and getting all your family involved seems like you picked the sign business because you see a potential to make some serious Money with a capitol M.

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
There's a lot of starving video professionals out there! I would also have liked to become a professional pilot, but they're a dime a dozen as well and most of them are starving too! Just trying to put my talents to work in this exciting industry and if I can help the manufacturers promote their products and help educate sign and graphic shops at the same time is a win win for everyone!

I remember watching a video on a laminator I was looking at and all they had was a camera phone video of this machine laminating and dumping the media onto the floor and I said to myself, it's time to bring some professionalism into this industry!

What would everyone like to see showcased in GraphicLabsTV? Any particular equipment? What about training video's and in what area?

Thanks for all of your great feedback!
Doc

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
Well, I'm now the 2nd FastSigns center in MT! Hoping to be up and running this spring. Just went to their convention and loved it. The people are great and business model is well thought out, it's gonna be good!
I'll film and document my journey and let you know how I do!
Doc

C

ColoPrinthead

Congratulations and good luck. I look forward to hearing how it goes.