• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Grammar experts on here TODAY?

phototec

Any Grammar experts on here TODAY?

Which is correct?

JEEP'N or JEEPN'

Like in "JEEPING USA" used on a T-Shirt.

Thnanks

Attachments

• CARLOS JEEP'N USA T-SHIRT PROOF.jpg
    CARLOS JEEP'N USA T-SHIRT PROOF.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 103

garisimo

Any Grammar experts on here TODAY? Which is correct? JEEP'N or JEEPN' Like in "JEEPING USA" used on a T-Shirt. Thnanks

Technically, Jeep'n' would be right. The apostrophe is used to indicate missing letters (do not --> don't).

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The concept of grammar doesn't seem to apply to semi-literate 'g' dropping and apostrophe substituting colloquialisms. This 'JEEPN' abomination is a good example why sign makers should never write copy. The client always writes the copy,. Always.

Jillbeans

Living in Butler, PA, home of the Bantam Jeep, and seeing like 2,000 of them drive past my house in the past few days en route to the festival, I'd say go with Jeepin' USA.
The other way just looks stoopid.
Love....Jill

Marlene

I would go with the jeep'n as if it is good enough for the Cap'n, it is good enough for me

Attachments

• Capn-Crunch-Coupon.jpg
    Capn-Crunch-Coupon.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 110

garisimo

I would go with the jeep'n as if it is good enough for the Cap'n, it is good enough for me

Cap'n == Cap[tai]n; apostrophe takes the place of 'tai'
Jeep'n == Jeepn -- the apostrophe only covers the 'i' -- the 'g' is missing in this case...

If you wanted to shorten 'Jeep and' it would become 'Jeep 'n'' -- but I think the OP wanted to say Jeepin' (verbing the noun?).

I prefer Jeepin' but that wasn't an initial option....

-g-

Marlene

Cap'n == Cap[tai]n; apostrophe takes the place of 'tai'
Jeep'n == Jeepn -- the apostrophe only covers the 'i' -- the 'g' is missing in this case...

If you wanted to shorten 'Jeep and' it would become 'Jeep 'n'' -- but I think the OP wanted to say Jeepin' (verbing the noun?).

I prefer Jeepin' but that wasn't an initial option....

-g-

I have no cluewhat a Jeep n is or is suppose to say but pretty sure there really is no right or wrong for what would be considered wrong to begin with ;)

shoresigns

The concept of grammar doesn't seem to apply to semi-literate 'g' dropping and apostrophe substituting colloquialisms. This 'JEEPN' abomination is a good example why sign makers should never write copy. The client always writes the copy,. Always.

Complete nonsense. People who are skilled at copywriting should write the copy. There's an over-generalized blanket statement that actually makes sense.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Complete nonsense. People who are skilled at copywriting should write the copy. There's an over-generalized blanket statement that actually makes sense.

Twaddle. Those who own the copy bear sole responsibility for its content. It's not a question of skill level, it has to do with propriety.

I make signs. The client is responsible for what it says and I am responsible for how it says it. A line that I do not cross nor do I permit my clients to cross.

Apropos of nothing, there's an infinity of generalized blanket statements that make sense. I.e. Eskimos eat more whale blubber than Mexicans. In fact, most any statement in the general form 'Collective A:some characteristic:Collective B' usually is inarguable. Unless of course you're reaching for a counter-example of which an infinity also exist.. That's the fun thing about infinity, if you divide it by 2 [or any other number for that matter] you still have infinity. Thus it's perfectly reasonable to have an infinity of X and an infinity of not X peacefully cohabiting the external reality. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what is right but I would do JeepN with a big n

I know what I'd do, but that doesn't really matter now anymore. Just about every bastardized way you could do it has been mentioned and y'all seem to be happier arguing about things, rather than just discussing it....... BUT after reading your name. Now, I'm thirsty. :thumb:

WhiteLightning

I know what I'd do, but that doesn't really matter now anymore. Just about every bastardized way you could do it has been mentioned and y'all seem to be happier arguing about things, rather than just discussing it....... BUT after reading your name. Now, I'm thirsty. :thumb:

I was just trying to give some input, maybe another way for someone to see it to inspire a design. Drink up! Might help this thread!

RG

As someone who taught English in a public school for seven, long, hard, mostly-miserable years, I vote for Jeepin'. The owner of the copy is sometimes clueless. I give an opinion when asked and, otherwise, make it exactly like they say to make it. Thanks to things like texting and twitter, anything goes.