• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any grammar gurus here ?

Z SIGNS

Making a sign that says VISITORS CENTER
Should it be that or with an apostrophe "VISITOR'S CENTER"

Not claiming to be a grammar guru, but:

Assuming that the visitors don't actually own the center, it would be correct w/o the apostrophe.

P Wagner

T_K

If you want to make it a possessive, it should read:

VISITORS' CENTER

The apostrophe after the "S" makes it plural. Unless they only allow one visitor at a time. Then it can be singular. :Big Laugh

But, after doing a quick google image search to confirm what I was already thinking, the use of the apostrophe on the sign is not really necessary. I haven't ever seen a sign like this with the apostrophe. There is back and forth on whether to say "visitor" or "visitors", but I think that's the only real debate that's necessary. Visually, the apostrophe just doesn't look good on these types of signs.

signbrad

I like no apostrophe. My reasoning is that the center does not belong to visitors. It is for visitors. So, not a possessive. If it is viewed as possessive, it seems like it should be a plural possessive. So the apostrophe would follow the 'S' rather than precede it.

I also prefer the cleaner look of no punctuation. I never put periods on MD, for example, or on AM and PM, unless a client insists.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
They call them a "Welcome Center" around here. Pretty hard to mess that up.

JB

ddarlak

Go Bills!
it is either VISITORS CENTER or VISITOR CENTER

or if your from the north and like that funky English then its either VISITORS CENTRE or VISITOR CENTRE

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I like no apostrophe. My reasoning is that the center does not belong to visitors. It is for visitors. So, not a possessive. If it is viewed as possessive, it seems like it should be a plural possessive. So the apostrophe would follow the 'S' rather than precede it.

A fine example of hair splitting and tortured reasoning. Grammatically the apostrophe, either leading or trailing the terminal 'S' , should be there but...

I also prefer the cleaner look of no punctuation. I never put periods on MD, for example, or on AM and PM, unless a client insists.

Redemption for you. This is not a grammar lesson at Miss Mimsy's School for Young Girls of Quality, it's a sign and is far more legible without punctuation. Bonus, sans apostrophe it will give the excessively anal visiting grammarians something about which they can feel superior to those poor unfortunates that know no better. Make them happy visitors instead of the dour pedantic specimens that they are in real life.

visualeyez

Well a visitor walking up would be looking for a place to accept all visitors, not just his lonesome visitor self. There is neither ownership nor plurality requiring an apostrophe in this instance, so I would label it the

Visitors Center

visual800

I have to agree! and to go further I despise QM qnd PM. 8-5 suffices anyone with common sense

signbrad

These questions are not so much grammar questions as style questions.

Regarding time of day:

The Chicago Manual of Style says this: Figures are used in designations of time with
a.m. or p.m. (lowercase with periods), the preferred form, or AM and PM (small caps with no periods). Whichever you choose, be consistent throughout the manuscript.

The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style says: The lowercase letters are now more common, and with lowercase the periods are preferred. But many editors prefer the look of AM [in small capitals].

The Associated Press Style guide says all lower case with periods.

Sign painters, historically, do whatever they want.
:smile:

Brad

visual800

These questions are not so much grammar questions as style questions.

Regarding time of day:

The Chicago Manual of Style says this: Figures are used in designations of time with
a.m. or p.m. (lowercase with periods), the preferred form, or AM and PM (small caps with no periods). Whichever you choose, be consistent throughout the manuscript.

The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style says: The lowercase letters are now more common, and with lowercase the periods are preferred. But many editors prefer the look of AM [in small capitals].

The Associated Press Style guide says all lower case with periods.

Sign painters, historically, do whatever they want.
:smile:

Brad

this is why I have never bothered to read all of this crap, everything has mutated over time and changed to our liking anyway. There are no standards anymore.....NOW if we can just work on those Docs!

FELICIA GOLDMAN WEATHERBEE, FAAP, MD, DO, OB/GYN.....really? Bragging Much? NOBODY CARES!